Heating up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heating up

Over the week-end I put a new radiator, thermistat and the heat sensor for the rad fan in my girlfriends Daytona and now when I drive the car the heat gage goes right up into the hot and cold air is blowing in the car and then all of a sudden the temp gage drops and there is tons of heat inside the car. And the funny part is it only does this once while I`m driving during the time that the car is running . But if I take the car again later on in the day it will do the same thing but only the one time, then every thing runs fine, could it be air lock, or a faulty thermistat. I know it`s a Daytona that I`m asking about, but a lot of you guy`s seem to know your stuff about different car `s

I`d rather push a Chev than drive a Ford
Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Heating up

sounds like the thermostat is sticking in the closed position
I suppose if the thermostat was installed backwards it would do somthing
similar- just all the time, not just once per drive.

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 11:19 PM

This may sound like a stupid question, but did you make sure to wire the heat sensor up like you found it? Is there a possiblity you wired it backwards? Just a thought.

And then I would check for bubbles, as a second guess. You usually can't install a thermostat backwards anymore; they tend to only go in one way...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 11:38 PM

On the thermostat, on the flat part, drill a small hole (around 3/32"), to let any trapped air escape... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I agree, double check to see that the temperature sensor is wired right, as J.R. mentioned... Check to make sure the thermostat isn't sticking shut... It is possible to get a thermostat that doesn't work right from the parts place... Make sure you get a good quality one... Try that stuff, and let us know what you find [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The thermistat can only be put in one way I already made sure of that while I was putting it in , and as far as the plug in for the sensor there is only one wire coming out of it and it`s a plug, a female end, and on the harness of the car is the male end. So what I will do is change the thermistat again and see the results, But I still do wonder, could it be that the radiator is breaking in, along with the thermistat. because last night when I took out the car it did get hot for maybe 1 minute, and then the heat dropped to normal, but it did not go as high as it did the day before this time it only went three quarters of the way to the red line on the gage.

I`d rather push a Chev than drive a Ford
Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 02:03 PM

Sorta sounds like you need a thermostat that opens up a lot earlier. At what temp does this one open up?

If you run hot and then it just goes down, there's either air in the line (which would actually stay a lot longer), or you have a temp gauge that doesn't open up until it gets REALLY hot...

Hope that helps.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode