traction bars - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

traction bars

Anyone out there use traction bars? I'm getting bad axle wrap-up due to the motor-gear tourqe.need help.
Thanks in advance.

LIL ZILLA SAYS HAPPY TRAILS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: traction bars

I had ladder bars on my Toy(36"tsl's)and they did a good job for
axle wrap but limmited my articulation. Rancho makes a dampener
setup that goes on top of the leaf and looks like it would help wrapup
without causing clearance probs or limiting suspention travel.
Does anyone have/know anyone with this set up??? likes/dislikes?

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 11:16 PM

Isn't that the one where they put a shock there to control dampening? I don't think it'll work that great.

Your other option is to have a bar that runs the lenght of your driveshaft, parallel to it. It can hold the housing straight and give you a reason to beef up your frame right near the tranny mount.

Same concept, different location.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your getting axle wrap because your lift swapped the axle under the leafsprings. Mine is the same way. I know what you mean. Fixes are plentifull. Traction bars would work but limit articulation and clearance( what we spend our money on in the first place). Next is a kicker shock going from the leaf pads to the frame. It works but not very popular. Because your just dampening the wrap insted of eliminating it. Last is get some new longer leafs and swap it back to axle-over-spring. This is what im saving for. About $500 from National and $350 from Deaver.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

BTW ZILLA have you regeared??

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dumb question, but what exactly is "axle wrap"? I take it axle wrap is just when the truck's frame shifts over the axle housing in ways it shouldn't be, but not sure. If someone could enlighten me on this subject I'd appreciate it.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you stomp on the gas the rear axle tries to rotate the opposite way as the tires. Get enough torque and the rear axle rotates upward bending the leaf spring into an S shape. Being that a spring is a spring, I tries to force itself straight again causing what dragsters call axle hop, not pretty if you ever saw a bad case at the dragstrip.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya, it can get real nast on gofast car with W I D E S L I C K tires.
J.R. F-Bodys use that set up from the factory, the only prob is that they
also don't have much suspension travel([img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]well, I guess we don't either[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img])
It would work good on a coil sprung truck but not on leafs. The arc of the drive shaft
is much larger than that of the spring, also when a leaf spring compresses the axle
actualy moves backwards(thats why there's shackels back there and slip joints in the
drive shaft) I was thinking of dampeners because it help smooth it out without riding
like a buckboard wagon. The only way to actualy eleminate it is stiffer springs.

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 01:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This should help. http://www.netzone.com/~jayk/rear_susp.htm
Check about 3 pages back under Nissan. I think the post is called spring under and spring over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode