New sepentile belt, then sqeaks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 07:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New sepentile belt, then sqeaks

The serpentile belt on my '87 S-10 was stretched and fell off. I replaced the belt and since then I have squeaks that are driving me crazy.
Any idea on what I can use to quiet down these aggravating noises.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 07:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New sepentile belt, then sqeaks

Take off your belt and spin the tensioner, the bearrings inside made had it`s day, I replaced some on my father`s Chevy van and only cost 2.95 canadian

I`d rather push a Chev than drive a Ford
Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2000, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To fix your problem go to the toy store! By the biggest piece of chalk you can find. Here, we get peices about 1 inch wide so the kids can write on the street with them. With the motor running, CAREFULLY press the chalk to the inside and out side of the belt. If the squeak is the belt it will shut it up quick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the problem is the belt and not a bearing I am sure the chalk will work fine. I hadnt thought of that. One thing the old timers used to do around here that I have found to quiet down and also stop belts from slipping is to used bee's wax. After taking the honey from the comb, the comb is melted down into a hard block. Just hold it against a running belt and it melts right to it. "Be careful though". It works really well, but I think I will try the chalk the next time. It seems much easier to obtain. LOL Good luck

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 01:41 PM

Another thing I just thought of. Use some sort of non-petroleum based spray product and spray it near the pulleys. the one that quiets the squeak will be your problem.

I would say use WD-40, but that will eventually erode the belt material.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I spoke to a GM techie, he suggested either a crayon or a piece of candle. I had a piece of candle at home, as soon as the candle touched the belt as it was turning the squeak went away, however, it came back the next day but not as noisy.... so I kept doing the candle trick and it seems to be okay now.
At least it was not a bearing or something more expensive.

Thanks a lot guys.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use a bar of Ivory Soap .. it also seems to do the trick .. rub it on the belt as its spinning away

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also lathers up quite nicely and rinses clean away..... :~)

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 02:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't see why you would put something slippery on something that is slipping. The local autojunk store have has stuff to spray on your belt to make it sticky so it doesn't squeal. A few applications of that will keep it quiet by eliminating slipping. How much tension is on your belt?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

An automatic tensioner handles the tension adjustment, there are no manual adjustments, as long as the automatic tensioner shows that you are within a one inch area by the point of an arrow, the adjustment is ok, as the belt gets old and it stretches, the arrow starts to go out of this one inch range.

The belt is not slipping at all, the grooves fit perfecly in the pulleys and all is working okay. I thought that the belt was very stiff when I bought it and I suspect that it needs to be worn in a bit, just my own 2 cents worth of nothing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode