31x10.5's on newer S-10?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

31x10.5\'s on newer S-10??????

Since I don't have $2000 for a suspension lift and I don't like the compromises a body lift entails, I've decided to settle w/ bigger tires for the time being. Right now my tires are about 26" in diameter and it looks like I could easily extend their radius by 2" (i.e. get some 30 inchers) w/o rubbing the outer fenders. I might have some rubbing on the sway bar and frame, but it shouldn't be too bad. What I'm wondering now, though, is whether or not I can put some 31X10.5's on a stock height 96 S-10 4x4 (not ZR2) if I get medium offset rims. The rims should alleviate the inner fender rubbing problems, and my measurements say that extending the tire radius 2.5" (from the 26 inchers) shouldn't cause rubbing on the outer fender (although it is close). The top outer fender might rub on big bumps with the 31x10.5s, but longer bumpstops would fix that. The guy at Big-O said my idea would work fine until I turned the tires (which extends tires radius and thus causes rubbing on front and back outer fender). My measurements say differently, though. I just want a second opinion. Any thoughts? Also, would 31x9.5's on stock rims be another opttion, or are tires that size even available?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 31x10.5\'s on newer S-10??????

Boy did you meet me at the right time. Got a fix for ya little lift prob. Going to an off set rim will cause rubbing to the rear part of the front fender but will stop any rubbing on the frame and sway bar. Fender you can cut back, frame you can not. I got a 3" suspention lift on my 94 and I still rubbed the fender w/ off set rims and 31x10.5's but never touched frame. Disconnect your sway bar and see how it drives. I have never had one on my truck and im now up 5" w/ 33's with little body roll.
For the fix. I got a line on aftermarket torsion bars that have 20% more load and tortional flex. They can also lift your truck about 1 to 2 inches. You can crank up the stock bars for some lift but it will really screw with allignment and prematutre failure of the bearings, balljoints, and CV's. I have gone through this. With these HD bars you don't have to crank them up as much as the stock bars. These are really hard to find. I looked for 5 years and finaly found them. The are about $250 a set but im trying to get a deal from the guy if I can get a few of you to go in on some. For more info on these bars goto the Torsion Bars thread form me about a week ago. With these you might fit the 31's with ofset rims and a little trimming and have good clearance with as little money invested as you can get..

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 02:14 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>31X9.50's are available as TSL radials (Super Swamper). Also, there is an N78 Buckshot Mudder of similar proportions (can't remember the metric size required to get this in a radial - something like 245/85R15 I THINK). Don't know if either would solve your problem or not.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 06:18 PM

A friend of mine did it on his '96, so I know it can be done. I am pretty sure that he had to hammer the back end of the fender well in a bit, but it works...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode