Chevy S10 Starting Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 10:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chevy S10 Starting Problems

I have a 1987 Chev. S10 4x4, with the 2.8L V6 TBI , and it sure starts hard. It is just in the mornings that really gives the problem. It seems as it is not gettig enough fuel. Then after you keep trying it, it acts like it is flooded. After I get it started for the day it is alright. It has always been this way. What could be the possible problem? Thanks for your help!!
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Chevy S10 Starting Problems

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Possible problems could be: a bad starter motor, a battery w/o enough juice to power the starter, and/or an alternator which puts out too little amps to charge the battery. If your battery doesn't have enough power or isn't getting charged, the problem would be especially noticeable in cold weather. Of course you've probably already checked all that. Also, I don't know if your carb has an idle adjuster, but if it does, you might play with it. Last thing, when you say cold, what temperatures are you talking about. I have a 96' S-10 in great shape, but anytime the temperature is below freezing, I need to turn the ignition switch at least twice to get it going.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 01:09 PM

I'll take a stab at it, I suppose... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Be warned I don't remember much about fuel injection, since I don't drive a fuel injected vehicle and it's been a few years since auto shop in High school (I gradutated in '98...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img])

If your battery is worn down a bit, it won't give you the cold cranking amps you need to turn the starter and fire enough spark from the coil to get the mix in the cylinders to fire... If you're where it's cold now, your oil will be thicker, and until you get it pumped up into the engine from the pan, it'll take considerably amount more of the battery's total energy, and leave less of that energy to go to the coil. If you have someone you know that has a bigger battery, ask them if you can borrow it one morning, for the first try to start your truck... I got myself one of those Champion 4x4 1000ca (850cca) batteries... It has top posts and side posts... Cranks the engine over perfectly, no matter how cold it is outside (coldest I've tried is around 0*F... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Any battery with a ton of CCA should do just fine... I got mine at Sam's Club, I like that place because they don't look up things in the book for you, so I just walked over to the shelf, found the most powerful battery they had there... Oh, and if you go to somewhere that they ask you what vehicle you have, tell them something like a '70's Caddy with the 500 V8, I believe that's one of the biggest batteries available...

Oh yes, and I forgot that since it is fuel injection, not only do you need the battery to power the starter and fire the coil, but you need it to run the fuel pump...

That might be it or it might not be, but I'd guess it's worth a try... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Also, make sure your battery terminals are clean, and the wires that go to the terminals on the solenoid are clean too, they'll give you trouble if the connections aren't clean... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I guess that's the long winded way of sayin', have the battery tested, or maybe get a bigger one... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 06:26 PM

Barring any battery problems, it might be related to a cold-start injector (fuel) or an EGR(vacuum) problem.

I would see about troubleshooting those. I'm pretty sure they are listed in the shop mags!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was thinking what J.R. said, the cold-start injector. I just couldn't remember what to call it.
Although unlikely, my wire going to the fuel pump was corroded and the pump wasn't getting full voltage. It was particulary hard to start first thing in the morning. Even though I have all the bugs worked out and a '94 Caddilac battery (800 cca), I still have to crank it for a few seconds in the morning.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 07:00 AM

It could be that your spark plugs are worn. Check them. Good Luck! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing to think about:
After you turn off the truck listen for the fuel pump.
Mine (87 2.8 FI)runs on a bit, I believe to relieve the line pressure.(?)
Perhaps when you leave it sit overnite the excess pressure causes spillage into the intake.
Just a WAG.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode