98' S-10 How and where to uumph it! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

98\' S-10 How and where to uumph it!

HELP!

I have a 98' S-10 ext. cab with lots of 'standard' options ... nice truck ...4.3L V6 ...automatic transmission though.

My question is what can I do to get the horse-power up ... and then get it up even more! I have heard about buying computer chips and K & N filters and all kinds of power giving items. Can anyone tell me the best things that will work? The best place to get them? I really could use some serious help here! I've been trying to learn as much as I can from a local dealer and a friend, but combined they know as little as me!

PLEASE help me out ...

_DangerouS_

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 02:25 PM

Re: 98\' S-10 How and where to uumph it!

Ahhh, another '98 driver! Cool! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I've got a '98 standard cab with 30" BFG tires and the only thing I did so far is remove the front valence because I broke it and the remote oil filter line on a rock... so we're in the same boat...

Here are some of the things you can consider when you want more power:
1. Gears. If you are running anything other than stock, you'll need more gears just to get the power back to the stock ratio. Also, since I think the lowest (numerically higher) gearset on our trucks is 3.42 or 3.52 (don't remember which), perhaps going to 3.73's would give you more torque and that ooomph you are looking for. I would talk with a gear pro before you go anywhere...
2. Air intake. Cars were designed to be anemic. If you go with a higher flow air filter and intake assmemly you can free up a couple of ponies (IMO). Some people find the gains with the K&N, others don't. It's hard to get a straight answer without some real bench testing.
3. Exhaust. You might want to consider some after market headers, mufflers and pipe. Talk with an exhaust pro to see what you need to get the most out of your exhaust system. One warning, and I don't know if it's federal or just my lovely state of California: if your catalytic converter has less than 115,000 miles on it or isn't damaged before 115K, you are not supposed to be allowed to change the cat...
4. Chips -- can't help you here, but if you get one of these it's bound to help in one area and kill you in another. Like more hp but less torque, that kind of thing. There are multi-use chips out there (like a six-pack type setup), but I believe '98 is the first year that the chips in the computers were soldered in, so you can't just unplug it and go.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 02:38 PM

Probably the cheapest things to do are free flow intake system and free flow exhaust so it'll breathe better.. This should also help any future modifications get the most amount of power possible.. You might also try somewhere like Edelbrock or Holley (not sure on Holley tho), they have some intakes, cams, computer chip upgrades matched to and things for performance on 350's, so you might try checking their websites (Edelbrock and Holley) to see if they have performance things to toss into your engine to make it go... Heck, if you really want an increase in power, you could probably find a supercharger, or nitrous oxide kit for it, that'll really make it kick out the power...

Gears are really important to it, as mentioned by J.R..

That's about all I can think of... Well, there is another way to increase the power of your 4.3L... Exchange it for a 5.7L or even better a 454 bb... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 02:56 PM

Heh. always up for a motor swap, hey Sandman? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It was a funny thing. At the last Baja 1000, we ran one of the checkpoints in a beautiful area near the Compadre Trail. Anyway, Larry Ragland came through first in his full-size Chevy with VORTEC written all over it. Then came Larry Roeseler in the HUGE Team MacPherson Chevy. It was a Larry and Larry show all the way...

My point is, it all has to do with VORTEC POWER... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 03:13 PM

2 things I can't seem to get enough of in a vehicle is power/torque, and cubic inches in the engine... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Yeah, the Vortec system is very capable... Last year on the dunes of MI, my sister's truck (92 Z71) has a regular TBI 350 in it, (I was drivin') and I pulled up next to an S10 powered by a vortec 4.3L... When the flag went up, the S10 kept right up with the fullsize... I was surprised by that, but I guess considering the weight of the fullsize and the amount of power that extra weight eats up, the S10 probably easily kept up with it... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow!

I thought it would take several days and several, several posts before I got a logical answer! Big thanks goes out to J.R. and The Sandman! Anything else that you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

By the way ... J.R. .... thats one sweet truck ya' got! I hope your enjoying that VORTEC power as much as I am!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN CUBIC INCHES IS CUBIC DOLLARS!!!!
my opinion: the best bang for you buck-laughing gas. NOS makes a real slick
setup designed to be bolted to stock motors that puts out an extra 75ponies
for around 4bills.can't beat that with a stick!

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can get all this at www.truckperformance.com or at least find some info.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have put exhaust and intake on my blazer, and for a truck with stock gears and 31's it moves pretty well. As far as exhaust I am running a Dynomax fully welded race magnum muffler, and I am running the K&N Gen II Filtercharger, definetly some umph there. I got the K&N from carparts.com, I found a coupon for 1/3 off your first order and with that i got the Gen II delivered to my door with a cleaner kit for $200

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 11:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 1996 ZR-2 that I have added a few goodies two over the last few months. I have the Airaid intake system and the TB spacer, Flex-A-Lite electric fan, MSD-6 ignition upgrade, with MSD 8.8mm wires, underdrive pullies, and custom duels. I can definitly feel the differance in the seat of my pants, and if I drive like a normal person I have gotten 20-22 mpg not to bad. I am cosidering some JBA cat forward system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode