Exhaust Gaskets 2.8L V6 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Exhaust Gaskets 2.8L V6

I have a 1987 Chevy S10 4x4 with a 2.8L V6, one of the problems I am having with this is keeping the exhaust donu gaskets from blowing out. I have replaced these at least 2 times in the last 4 years. What could be the reason for them blowing out? The header pipe and everything seems to be in good shape. Anyone else out there have the same problem? Any information would be helpful...Thanks very much!!
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 02:29 PM

Re: Exhaust Gaskets 2.8L V6

Are you talking about the collector gaskets? That seems to be a problem with all older-model Chevy's. You'll have to make sure that the headers aren't rattling around too much, and try to find a gasket that will hold (try Pep Boyz and then someplace else next time).

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 08:54 AM

Re: Exhaust Gaskets 2.8L V6

I have an 86 Jeep Cherokee with the Chevy 2.8L engine. About 8 years ago, I took it to a shop to have the muffler replaced and the "donut" gaskets replaced as one was leaking. Well, they replaced the muffler ok but they only replaced the driver side donut gasket. About a year later, both of the gaskets started to leak. This time, the weather was much nicer so I did the change myself and found that the gasket they replaced was contorted out of shape (then is when I realized that they did only one!). I figure that they were cutting corners and only loosened one side of the Y pipe and squeezed it in there.

I don't know about the S-10 specifically, but on the Cherokee, you have to loosen both sides stud nuts and drop the pipe down a good ways in order to get the gaskets in the proper seat. To get the Y pipe loose enough, you have to loosen about every downstream hanger on the exhaust system. Since then, I have had no troubles with those donut gaskets. Good Luck [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS I bought the gaskets at the local Pep Boys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode