Aftermarket Torsion Bars - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aftermarket Torsion Bars

I found what im looking for........ I found 30 pair of Rough country torsion bars. These will give about an 1" of lift over the medium duty bars by GM. BTW GM does not sell HD bars any more last I heard 3 yrs ago. But these have a 20% increase in torsional load and ride much better than stock durring off-road manuvers. No more bottoming out on those 3 ft. bumps. Sway-A-Way was the other company that made some but no longer are and IMPOSSABLE to find. Neither is RC anymore so these are nearly impossible to find. Trust me, I have been looking and scraping my old 31's and now 33's on my fenders for the last 5 years. I can find out more info on them for what years they will work on but im sure 94 will work. They are $250 a set but Im asking you guys if you want them I will try and make a deal with the guy and get us all a lower price. E- me direct or post here.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty
99 XJ 'Sport' White, Garvin Rack w/ tire holder, Rusty's Air tube, BB & 31X10.5's sitting in garage.
94 GMC Sonoma X-Cab(ZR Schmoo)Black, 3" Rancho suspention, 2" body, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT's on Centerline HT cast 8", Flex-a-lite elec fan, Edelbrock headers W\ high-flow cat & Flowmaster 3 chamber, custom bent all the way, Jacobs Milage Master Ultra Team , K&N Filtercharger IPK II, Prerunner bumpers front & rear & cage in bed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Aftermarket Torsion Bars

I went ahead and ordered myself a set of these.I found a really good allignment guy also from a friend so hopefully this will solve me front end woes... I will give all an update when they are in and when I can get the truck in some 3 ft. whoops.. I will also mesure everything to see how much lift they can offer also.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 05:01 PM

OK, we have how many people on this board? I'm sure there are a lot. The Chevy S-10 is rapidly becoming a pretty good seller.

I don't understand why the companies that can make these products say there is no demand for them. Advertising would help, ya know.

Every catalog I've seen caters to the big trucks. This is not good. If I wanted a big truck I would have bought one ages ago. I happen to like the smaller trucks for their fuel efficiency, power-to-weight, and the ability to slide in the tight spots a lot easier.

Am I ranting here?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

GOD I HATE THIS DAMN SYSTEM. EVERY TIME I HIT BACKSPACE IT KILLS MY POST.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im pickin up what your laying down JR. Here in So Cal S-10's are all over the place (2wd tho). I visited Charlotte NC. three weeks ago and never have I seen so many ZR2's. The vehicles are out there and im sure some are potential buyers for a lift kit that won't kill there pocketbooks. The suspention design has been unchanged for what 15 years??? Any one can help on that note. Some one besids two companys (Rancho, Trailmaster) need a lift kit for our vehicles. Rancho not avail. any more.?.?. Toy's have proven their worth to have 20 diff companys makin kits for them. We got the Vortech motor that can whip a Toy's tail pipe backwards. F*rds I beam design is all over the place in aftermarket availability. But has one design flaw when lifted, camber changes dramaticly through the suspention travel. S-10's don't have that problem but we give up what 20% of our travel for it. I for one am serious on starting a long travel kit for our trucks but in doing this I have found many things that need upgrading along the way. The IFS axle(7.2) was never ment to be upgraded. Go and try finding gears above 4.10's... Jr and Tim know khat im talking about. If any one out there wants to help our cause by donating an stock s-10 IFS suspention to me and a D-44 Revers Cut axle I can get started on building us a 12 inch travel front end....

Troy 'WeaZle McCarty

Now that's a rant.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 10:46 PM

Um, don't use the backspace! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 10:54 PM

I'm in the same boat here (So. Kal). I've seen more ZR2's lately, but when I was looking for one earlier everyone said "they're not as popular as the full-size. Try Oregon and Utah!" What a crock of -horse puckey-.

You're right about the F*rd I-beam design. Very easy to manipulate, but they tend to suck at cornering. The only difference between what we have and what the Toyota offers is merely maybe a an inch of gusset bar between the control arms (ours is wider, I do believe). The basic concept is the SAME.

It's getting to the point where Chevy has to interfere here. If they are listening (and who knows? they might be), then hear me now and believe me later: People are not going to buy an S-10, 4x2 or 4x4, if there are no aftermarket parts for them. I realized that mistake shortly after I bought the truck. Good thing the motor is strong in its stock form, else the truck would end up back on the auction block!

There is a guy who owns a shop in Lake Forest who is supposedly interested in doing some work to make the S-10 "kit". I have never talked to the guy and don't even know his name (friend of a friend of a...). Maybe eventually I can get a loan for about $5k and then do some serious work on the truck.

Remember, S-10 folks, without your bitching and moaning about the lack of parts, people won't realize the market they are missing. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Let 'em have it!

I personally think the 7.2" (?) front end can handle the abuse. Really! The 4x4 Toyota 4 cylinder has a 7.5" diameter. At the very least, you can proably swap in the Toyota axle. And why not? Those Toy fellows steal our springs! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]...

Honestly, one of these days...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, there is only one thing to do. Stop bitching about the lack of parts and lets get serious. I suggest that we all begain looking for e-mail addresses and start making some noise! Start looking for addresses and post them, I will start a new thread called READ THIS or something if you all think this is a good idea. Give some feedback. Give it say... a week or so, I'll (or if there are any volenteers) write up some messages and send them out. One person amounts to nothing but if we get 30 or so people willing to put their name on this maybe someone will start listening! I'm no Knute Rockney (sp?) but damn it, I'm trying!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 11:35 AM

I was just thinking that perhaps we need to get a section of the Chevy web site up that lists web links, phone numbers and addresses of all major manufacturers who make parts and accessories for the S-10... Companines like Rancho, Trailmaster, Volant Systems and K&N. It would be a great undertaking, but I have a web page database that has about 700 links to it right now.

I'll see if I can scare something up!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Back to my origional post. i got the bars yesterday. Ordered on Tuesday and got them on Wednsday. Look really nice. Shiny black powdercoat. Dont have any other marks on them except 'Made in Japan'...:~| Oh well, every thing on the truck is metric anyway. These things are made to be adjusted. The have the standard hex end that goes into the lower a-arm and on the other is like 50 splines like an axle shaft. The torsion adjuster arm is removable and can be installed any where on those splines. Only odd thing is that the diameter is smaller than the medium duty's I have on there now. Just need that damn tool now. Oh and an allignment rack.....and while im wishing a hydrolic hoist. Will update again when they are installed. If it does as advertised this is not a bad price for two inches of lift.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode