putting a 4.3 in a 2.8's spot - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

putting a 4.3 in a 2.8\'s spot

I have a 1987 Chevrolet S10 4x4 with a 2.8L V6 and am tired of putting with lack of power and am wondering what all is involved with swapping engines. What harnesses are involved, new computer? Are there brackets you need to buy? Am also wondering what is an estimated cost of just the materials. Am thinking of probably buying a new 4.3 or if I can find a junked out blazer or s10. I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks for your help!!
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: putting a 4.3 in a 2.8\'s spot

Well, everthing is involved in the swap. New computer, transmission, motor mounts, just about everything. Nothing interchanges between the 2.8 and 4.3. For all the hassle you might as well put a 350 in. JTR sells a bible that you need if you are planning a swap like this. I think the address is http://www.jagsthatrun.com The only simple and easy (like my girlfriend) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] swap is the 3.4 from a slomaro. Check back, there are of old couple posts about this swap. I gotta cut back on the NyQuil.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 11:05 PM

I hope you're prepared to get a different tranny as well, as the one from the 60 degree (2.8) won't work on the 4.3L or larger... If you're going to the expense of the 4.3, why not just spend a few extra bucks, get a Goodwrench 350 crate motor, toss a different cam in it, some Vortec heads ($400/pair from what I've heard), and your choice of either aftermarket fuel injection, such as the Holley MPI II kit (the one I'll be most likely getting when I get the money to finally do the stuff) or GM's Vortec intake, computer and things out of a junked out truck... Oops, I guess I have gotten a bit more expensive than you'd like, because then we have a 300 hp or so motor and relatively weak axles, t-case, and stuff, unless you swap those too... Or if you'd take it easy on it it'll be ok... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I guess that's my philosophy, get the biggest engine and other components you can afford [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can live with an increase of about 40-50 HP, then just swap in a 3.4 out of a '93-'95 Camaro/Firebird. You can retain your existing tranny, and all the 2.8 parts will bolt to the 3.4. You'll get about the same HP as a stock 4.3, with less weight and it will be a lot smoother.

It's just not worth the effort of swapping in a 4.3 when the 3.4 will do as well or better with much less mods.

If you really want the Ponies, then go with the V8 swap as the other guys have suggested. Good Luck......ed

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 01:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you are going to mess with changing engine, I hear swaping to a 350 just as easy a a 4.3, and you get tons more torque and hp. and depending on where you live ie emissions law and certification. you could bypass computer and emissions accordingly. jason

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you will need new motor mounts for the 4.3 or 5.7 swaps kits are made for either swap, ps I saw a 350 s-10 once do the most amazing burnout once. Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode