Lift and tires for S10 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lift and tires for S10

Hi, I'm the owner of a '92 Chevy S10 pickup. It is a ext. cab model with 2wd. Currently, the truck has under 9 in. ground clearance and the 14-inch road tires are about worn. (they're dangerous in slick conditions) I would like to lift the truck enough to put some BFGoodrich All-Terrains on it. Right now it has P205-75-R14 tires on it and I'd like to move up to either 215-75-R15 or 235-75-R15. (I figure 15 inch rims should be large enough for my needs) I've found some relatively inexpensive 3" body lifts for my truck, and I was wondering if that would be sufficient to accommodate the larger tires. Body lifts donít actually give me any more ground clearance do they? Also, I noticed that the body lifts don't include new shocks so I'm assuming that longer ones aren't needed? The suspension lifts I've seen are out of my price range, but please let me know if that is the better or easier way to go about things. With the larger tires is it going to be dangerous to my truck to use off-road without new suspension? I drive on the highway 75% of the time and on dirt-roads and off-road at low speeds when hunting. Could you recommend a combination of lifts and tires to give me 3 inches of lift and worry free off-road driving? Keep in mind that I'm a 17 year old, and I'd like to purchase the tires, wheels, and lift for under $1000. Hopefully you can get me straightened out because I have no experience with the subject. Thanks!

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Lift and tires for S10

I WAS IN THE SPOT YOU ARE IN MY FRIEND. A 16 YEAROLD WITH LITTLE MONEY BUT A SERIOUS CAUSE. IT IS ALL ABOUT SHOPPING AROUND. 1ST:GO WITH A 3-INCH BODY LIFT WITH BUMPER BRACKETS FRONT AND REAR ($125) FAIRLY CHEAP. INSTALLTION WILL KILL YOU UNLESS YOU DO IT YOUR SELF (MONEY SAVER). I LUCKED OUT AND GOT IT DONE FOR $200.EVRYONE ELSE AROUND $425. SHOP AROUND FOR TIRES AND RIMS LOOK IN MAGS. AND CATLOGS SOMEONE HAS A DEAL OR TWO. BE PATIENT THIS WILL TAKE TIME MAY BE TRY SOME USED TIRES FOR A GOOD PRICE ( ALL 4 FOR 100). AND THEN GET SOME NICE RIMS (60 A PIECE FOR ME). I SUGGEST 15X8. I PUT 31X10.50 UNDER BUT EXPECT SOME MAJOR CUTTING TO SOME SPACE. THEN A CAN OF FLAT BLACK SPRAY PAINT FOR THE FRAME AND WHEEL WELLS. IT LOOKS GREAT. EXPECT SOME LOSS IN POWER AND A ROUGHER RIDE OR A OVER NIGHT TRANSFORMATION. IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME (ME 6 MONTHS) GOOD LUCK AND KEEP ME UP TO DATE. TELL ME YOUR DECISION HOPE I WAS SOME HELP I WILL TRY GET A PICTURE LATER PICK UP

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

E MAIL ME FOR ANY MORE ?S AT [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tires for S10

Hey,
my truck is a 1988 S-15 4x4 with 5-speed.....
im 17 also, and i like to go off-road with my beast. i had the tire problem a few months ago, but i have a friend who works as a lube tech at a local auto shop. we threw on 31x10.5's on 15x6.5 rims. it has no lift, but clears the tires pretty well. check out the specs of my truck at the link below......

Later,
MeatLoaf

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert/8071/ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 11:22 PM

On my '85 S15, I have 235/75R15's, with no lift, but it is a 4x4, so I'm not sure if it already had a higher suspension than yours or not... I did have to remove the mudflaps on the front (well i would have anyway, and chose to remove all 4 flaps)... You might want to consider some Coopers, which I believe are cheaper, and if you ask TEX and some others, the Coopers will last longer... If you want a really cool looking tire, go with the Cooper Discoverer STT... They make 'em in 235/75/R15 (these are the ones I got)I paid $403 for the set of 4, but I did purchase the extra warranty that the place offered, it would have been around $350 or so if I had chosen not to get the place's warranty... You're going to want a more aggressive tire than the AT's, if you're going to see mud... That and the more aggressive tires make your truck look cooler [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] You won't want to go too big on the tires, or you'll be forced to change the gears in the rear differential, so that you can have your acceleration similar to stock...

Body lifts give the extra clearance by lifting up the body, getting your fenders out of the way so you can run bigger tires, and the bigger tires are all that really increase your ground clearance with the body lift... I don't see how it would be dangerous to take your truck off road without the suspension lift... With the suspension lifts that are around, I believe all of them you re-use your old parts anyway, they just drop them down so that it increases height... I hope that made sense... Keep in mind with bodylift, you may have problems with your shifter linkage, but I sort of doubt it... You will have to adjust the height of your radiator (down), and probably modify the fan shroud, so you still pull air through it with the fan...

I believe about everything I've said is accurate, if it isn't someone please be sure and point it out.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Body lifts:
Actually, you don't more the rad. you just cut off the bottom part of the shroud. Not the best thing for cooling, but I didn't notice any difference...expept that time I blew the rad. on I-79 but that is a hole (pun) other story. Body lifts are easy, I did it and I are not two bright. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you are considering doing the body lift, let me know and I'll through out some pointers.

BFG's:
Good, but over priced. Coopers are perfect for the budget minded.

Suspension lifts:
I think I saw a 2wd 3" suspension lift somewhere for $300, that's all I know.
4x4:
Sandman is correct, s10 lifts reuse stock parts (for the most part), just relocate them. The only lifts you can get are the Rancho 3" and Trail Master 5" both around $1000. Superlift makes a 2", but all it really does is crank up the torsion bars and eat CV joints, it does save ball joint wear by giving you new upper control arms. I would stay away from it.
I believe that you would be MORE likely to break something with a lift. Bigger tires = more stress and getting into some rougher terrain.

Sandman,
I was thinking, if I get the 3.4 this summer ($$ permitting) I just might have to get out the sawzall and make room for some 33's. Ah...if I only had money, I'd still be living off Kraft dinner and cheap beer, but damn-it I would have a F*rd crusher! I still mad at the old man!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 03:02 AM

I've definitely got to get "Behemoth" (the 'burban) back on (and off) the road again... The tranny is in sort of desperate need of a rebuild, and I seem to have at least one rear leaking wheel cylinder... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] But that thing is awesome in the snow... Even with that 454 and my ultra leaded foot, I couldn't get it to spin the tires even on some pure ice I found in the back yard last year... It accelerated from dead stop to about 40 about as fast as it does on dry pavement... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I was very amazed by that... I wish I had it for winter driving, even though we haven't gotten much snow here in MI... It's going to be very hard for me to do all the things I'd like to get done to the trucks this year, and virtually impossible to pay for it all... I have to do a considerable amount of welding to the cab of the S15, find a decent bed in a scrap yard or somewhere, sand blast it, under coat it, paint it a nice coat of black, and throw it on there... Needs cab corners, and possibly a rocker, the bottoms of the doors are going to get some welding done to them, and front fenders need some body work... If I can find out how I could run the coilovers up front, I'd get some nice hoops and modify the inner fender...

On Behemoth, it's going to be an interesting fix up... I have the shell part of it to exchange to the good 4x4 frame (the one that's on there now is all rusted out and smashed up), and I have to do some massive trimming to the fenders, and the part of the inner fenders that are in the back, especially, so I can stick with a 6 or 8" suspension lift (to still have a bit of articulation), no or very little body lift, and run 44" super swampers... That's going to be an interesting trick... Yikes! All these modification plans floating around in my skull, I just had to let them out of there or it would have exploded... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] This stuff is going to cost a fortune, and unfortuneately, I don't have one of those yet... Hopefully by this summer, I'll have enough to at least get started on some body work... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Another interesting thing to think of, when you change the strength of parts, or add better ones while ignoring the rest of the associated system, you change what the weak link is, and potentially make it something more expensive, on the other hand it may make the weak link something relatively cheap... Also, no matter how big/tough/heavy duty it gets built, it will eventually break, and usually the bigger it gets built, the tougher the trails and such it sees, so it averages out to break just about as often as it usually did before... I call it: "Sandman's theory of relativity", and it relates the strength of parts you use, and amount you build the truck to the relative difficulty of trails it sees, and after transforming the values on a relative scale from 1-10 for strength, and difficulty, you square root the sum of both numbers, and add 35%. Then you divide by 44, multiply by the distance away from the moon, and how long it will take to drive your truck there, the number of hours you plan to spend there, the estimated amount of gas you will burn to get there and back, divide by your age, and the relative weight of your lead foot, from .5 (basically your foot is about like a feather) to 10 (your foot has approximately the same density of a black hole, and forces the throttle down so far you can't pick it back up)... Finally you throw down the calculator in disgust, and just go out and have fun... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I hope someone finds this amusing, because it took me a little while to think of it and type it out... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Sorry for the long and mostly off topic post...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode