Filtercharger??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Filtercharger???

Okay what exactly is a filter charger??? What does it do? From what i gather i think it is like what the call "intake" on the little rice burners that run around scrapin the road. Is this correct? if so do these things really make a noticeable horsepower difference?

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 01:28 AM

Re: Filtercharger???

The filtercharger itself is a K&N oiled cotton gauze air filter, that allows more air to flow through than regular paper filters... Also, you can just rinse it out and reoil it when it becomes dirty... (In dusty conditions, make sure to keep that sucker well oiled)... Here's a link to K&N Engineering, check out their products, they also make some different style filter boxes, and similar items for vehicles... In "Behemoth", my 454 powered Suburban, I changed the paper filter for a K&N filter (it's got an open round filter element, instead of the kind that used to be there with the little rubber snorkel that goes through the firewall), and the one I got I believe is 14" in diameter and 5" or a little taller... I gained a considerable amount on that beast... Now all I need to do is fabricate some hood scoops and a cold air box to go around the carb, and it'll be even better, but I'm wandering off topic... A friend tried it on his '91 4.3L S10 pickup, with the stock aircleaner housing... As I remember, it gained a decent amount... I believe the biggest gains happen when you do the airfilter in combination with a free flow type exhaust, but I could be wrong on that one...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Filtercharger

i paid 28.99 for mine. added alot of throttle response and pickup.....filters out even the smallest stuff. my truck is a 1988 S-15 4x4 with a 2.8 w/TBI, and a 5-speed. the only down fall with mine is it has to be cleaned already, which is no big deal......btw im using the stock air box and exhaust.

Later,
MeatLoaf

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert/8071/ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Filtercharger

So basically it is just an air filter?

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 02:17 PM

Basically it's just an airfilter... I bet you'd be happy with one... I think the huge one I got for the suburban was about $55 or so at Pep Boy's, they didn't have it in stock and had to order it, but anyway...

They also make the cold air boxes, the kind of thing on rice burners that their owners refer to "intakes" or in reality just the air boxes, but in combination with the filter, I'd bet it will increase power a bit more... Those people that call them intakes however, apparently don't know what their engines are, because they don't realize the intake is what bolts on their engine... But that's a whole other story... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 03:40 PM

"Filtercharger" is the brand name for K&N's performance filter.
There are drop in filters and there are replacement air intake assemblies (which I think they don't make for my truck yet).

Another one to try out is Volant Systems. They have a cool assembly that is bolt-on, but take cold air from outside the engine compartment, as opposed to the open element K&N which takes air from inside the compartment (on their performance intake kits).

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would recommend getting a stock replacement K&N, it just pops inplace of the origional. I think the newer s10's draw air from inside the fender, am I right? Well, where ever it is, it's prob. fairly well protected from mud and water. One of those aftermarket airboxes might draw more air than the stock intake system, but it might be more exposed to the elements. Something to think about if you are looking into one of those systems. A stock type K&N will improve your gas mileage by about 0.5 and may provide a little snapper throttle response, but not alot.

On another note.
I am still trying to figure out how to keep mud and water out of my TBI. I disconnect the air intake that runs from behind the bumper to the air filter, but I still have to replace the air filter everytime I go off-road.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 10:02 PM

I guess I can agree with what you're saying here, but having more of an unrestricted source of air can be a good thing. That air box really cuts down on available air. And what's really cool is the noise your intake valves make when you have that open element filter! It made my 4-banger Toy a lot meaner-sounding! Luckily I don't like going through mud all time; I am a creature of the desert. So the FilterCharger style could work better for me.

You really won't get rid of the water problem until you get your intake a LOT higher than the engine compartment, like a snorkel system or something. It's a sick problem. You want to keep the intake air box as waterproof as possible, but that means you have to sacrifice air for it.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode