Hey Sandman... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Sandman...

Just wondering how those new Coopers are doin for ya. I'm still shopping around for new tires for my S-10. The Coopers sound good to me, but I can't ignore the BFG AT KO's yet and haven't ruled out the Pirelli's. Need a good mud/snow/sand/street tire.

Keep taking the tough road home :O)

DJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hey Sandman...

I'm not impressed with the BFG's AT in mud, otherwise they are great on and off-road. Two of my friends run them and they need a bit more spinning to clean the tread. Maybe the KO's will do better in the mud, but I can't justify their price to find out. Just a poor mans two cents.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 12:51 PM

They're working out great! (Much better than my truck's fuel pump... It's warming up so maybe this week I'll get to that...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) So far, about all I've had 'em on is snow, and regular pavement... Some pretty deep snow, about 8" and deeper where it was drifted one day, and they performed terrifficly! (Is terrifficly a real word? How about great instead, I know that word exists... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [wink) I was hoping for some mud, but haven't found any yet, the ground's still frozen... On the street, they're also great, they handle well, and are actually a lot quieter than I expected them to be when I first looked at 'em, I don't even notice the noise they make, probably some of it is because I'm used to the aggressive tires on "Behemoth" (my 79 'burban), and partly because of the glass pack I have on there, amazingly the little truck rumbles pretty nice, but I digress... I'm hoping to try them on the MI sand dunes sometime in mid-spring to early summer... I'll be sure and give a full report as I continue to test the limits of 'em... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] And I'll try to get some pictures of everything they go through... Hope that helps... (Just to be sure y'all know the ones I'm talkin' about, the Cooper Discoverer STT's, in the 235/75/R15 size...) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 01:46 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Depending on how heavily biased you are toward mud, you won't want any sort of A/T. The center of the BFG's will quickly pack up with goo & become worthless. On one of the very first 4x4 outings I ever went on, a buddy of mine had a set of all-terrain tires & I had the Cooper STT's. We were both running 31's. I was flying all over the place & he was hopelessly mired in mere inches of mud. About a month later, he ran over something & destroyed a couple of his tires. He went right to the tire store & said "give me what he has!" - meaning me. Next trip out, we went back to the same ORV park, but this time it was considerably sloppier since it had just rained. In the same hole where he had embarrassed himself with the A/T's, he was now able to confidently fling goo & motivate just fine - without locking his hubs! If you only very rarely run into mud & more as an accident than a plan, A/T's of some sort will be fine for you. If you plan to "play" in mud, you need a mud tire.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If what you say is true : Keep taking the tough road home :O) then dont get the AT's. I have had 31" AT's for the last 5 years on my S-10 (two sets)and have no problem with them till I found that dark slippery stuf made of dirt and water. Two weeks ago i got the muds but went to 33's. My AT's lasted about 45K. The muds are supposed to last from 35K to 42K from the people that I have talked to. Have to have a good allignment. "Don't run em on the sides where its softer." Said the BFG guy to me this weekend at the MDA run in Ocotillo Wells. Well, at that run the Muds performed flawlesly. I loved them!!!!! They floated on the sand and griped on every rock around. The way those sidewalls fold on the rock is cool. For the performance gained off road, I think its an easy trade-off for street life of only for what, 4K or so. Get the muds....

Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty
94 Sonoma 4X4 with lots-o-mods

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode