GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

88 S-10 blazer

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. My blazers
front hubs will not lock in. First i bypassed vacuum cylinder under
the battery lights for 4- wheel drive came on but no 4 wheel drive
i checked all vacuum lines but they all seem to be good..
If you have any sugestions they would be greatly apreciated
Thanks Kyle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 12:15 PM

Re: 88 S-10 blazer

How do you mean you bypassed the vacuum cylinder? I don't quite get it... What I did to test mine, was get a new length of vacuum line, and a tee and hooked the vacuum actuator into engine vacuum, and you'll find out if it'll hold vacuum or not... Maybe the vacuum diaphragm got disconnected from the actual rod/cable that goes to the front differential to engage it? Does the actuator actually hold vacuum? Like if you put a hose on there and sucked on it, and then put your finger over the hose, does it gradually release, or stay engaged?

The hooking it into engine vacuum is a good "get out" tip, in case the line to the actuator goes out while you're on a trail and need 4x4 to get back out of there... I've had to use it before, probably a good thought for everyone to keep in mind with this...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what I meant was I manually engaged vacuum cylinder and put a pair
vice grips on cable that goes to transfer case the wheels light up
on the display but the hubs are not locked in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 03:07 PM

I tried the vise grips thing before, I got the light on, but it didn't engage the front... (before I had my Cooper STT's, I had some street type tires on my S15, and tried to engage the front diffy like that with the vise grips, I learned the front wasn't engaged the hard way (buried the back axle about totally, had to be pulled off... This was on the entrance ramp to the sand dunes I was tryin' to drive on, it was deep sand and someone in front of me kept me from getting enough speed to make it in 2wd... I bet with my new tires that stuck wouldn't have happened, but I learned that engaging the front diffy isn't a job for vise grips... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

If I were you I'd try making sure the cable is still hooked to the vacuum actuator, and apply some engine vacuum, vacuum from a hand vacuum pump, or some other style of vacuum and try to use it that way...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks a lot for the help thats what I had figured well its off to
shop.. oh well

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 01:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i heard someone had this same problem, his cause was improper tire size from front to back, he had taller tires on one end of the vehicle, causing the differentials to not to sync. any help?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I had purchased my 85 blazer 4x4, the 4x4 didn't work at all. the first thing that was wrong was the vacuum line to the switch was disconected, the second thing was a blown r/f axle. what i had done to test this was: reconnect the vacuum switch, with the truck running i put it in 4wd then i had crimped the vacuum line to the diaphram with vise grips, went under the truck to see if i could move the driveshaft, it would not move so i nknew that my tranfercase had engaged, the i had put it in 2wd went back under the truck and spun the front drive shaft(with the diaphram still engaged) imagine my surprise to see that axle spin, but iguess its better to have the axle spin that to have a diff/transfer case go bad. all i had to do was shell out $110.00 for front axles and i was in business!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode