Rental Car Article - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rental Car Article

Got this email and I thought I'd share it with all of you, not to mention, it's a Chevy Blazer rental... I can relate to the article since I'm guilty of taking a rental car where it's not suppose to go! I don't see much harm in this and it's the rental cars responsibility to check the vehicle when it comes back and apply any charges that may exist.

Here's the article:
http://www.off-road.com/glamis/rentalride/

Questions, comments?

shawn

From Pat Chicas:

Hi Folks,

We will have a response for all demands and outcrys by the publication of
our next issue. Past that, let me make this very clear, we will never,
ever, ever sucumb to the pressures of any group, entity or individual that
wishes to censor content on ORC. To do so, would be 100% un-American.

We have discussed internally, the path we will take in our response. Our
guess is that a good number of people will do some deep soul searching and
a lesser percentage will be totally outraged. That's fine, we will never,
ever let a minority enflunce ORC.

Take care.

PJC

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Len Sullivan wrote:

> Hello all
>
> A member of my local off-road club (the Arizona Virtual Jeep Club - largest
> offroad club in the state) has posted a message to all club members
> expressing outrage at an article posted by ORC on their website, and has
> proposed a boycott of ORC if the article is not retracted immediately.
>
> I've read the article in question, and it bothers me quite a bit that the
> host organization for our lists would post it. As OHV enthusiasts we all
> have to constantly defend our right to enjoy our hobby against those who
> would close public lands to all vehicular travel, yet ORC is posting exactly
> the kind of 'evidence' that these groups use against us. Granted, the
> person who wrote the article didn't knock down any trees or kill any
> endangered species...........instead he allowed the destruction of a rental
> vehicle and endangered the lives of his passengers - including a 5 year old
> child.
>
> I encourage all of you to read the article and ask yourself if this is the
> kind of publicity that our sport needs. Let your conscience be your
> guide.........if one of my list members posted anything like this I and
> other RESPONSIBLE off-roaders on the list would slap him down immediately.
> I intend to write a letter to ORC demanding that it be removed and a
> retraction/apology put up in it's place. If they won't, I'm sure that
> e-groups would be happy to host my list. I've spent too much time defending
> our sport to sit idly by and allow a site as visible as ORC to post
> something like this.
>
> Here is a link to the article:
>
> http://www.off-road.com/glamis/rentalride/index.html>
>
> -Len Sullivan 1978 J-10
> -FSJ List Administrator
> -Phoenix, AZ ICQ# 38601959

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 04:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rental Car Article

Heya Shawn,

When I read the message, I just about died laughing! It was very well written, filled full of great pieces of the story, and finally, the ending. If I wrote the article, I would have left out the final piece about returning the beastie in a hurry, "hoping that no-one would notice the damage". I personally would have left that up in the air, for all to wonder if they could do the same, and get away with it.

I have rented many a vehicle for travelling in foreign areas, even rented some just for the heck of it, taking it in places that the rental company didn't expect the vehicle to go, but oh well .. as long as there was no damage to the beast, no major harm done. I can tell you some horror stories of friends renting cars, driving done the T-Can at 110 and jammin' on the E-brake .. just to see what will happen! A buddy rented a 'burban 4x4 and we went buzzing through the oil-patch (work related) and just left the poor beast a mess after it all. So many stories, and all filled with horror .. but its ok, that is the reason we rent 'em, so that the damage is fixed by someone else!

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 10:37 PM

Don't you think that for people to use as ammo against us off roaders, the article is horrible??? I think it is the worst damned article I have ever seen... Think of it from a public relations stand point, at least... It shows "typical" off roaders intentionally abusing a vehicle, and then trying to hide it... What do you think the reason they rent them is? So you can abuse the $hit out of them or so you can have temporary transportation while your vehicle isn't around... Would you treat your truck that way? Then don't treat a rental that way... Sorry if this sounds like a flame, but I'm very pi$$ed about this article, and will definitely like to see it removed...

It has been turned in to Enterprise Rent a Car, so we'll find out if it was fact, or fiction... I don't care if it's fact or fiction, it makes off roaders look bad... Look at the message this sends out to people... It is condoning this type of irresponsible and frankly extremely stupid/disrespecful behavior... Also breaking the rental agreement, so they're condoning breaking the law as well! I can't stand for this type of crap... If you'd like to see some of my other opinions on this, check out my post on the fullsize GM board, with a subject that says something like "let's have some opinions"...

Again, this isn't a flame, but I can't stand the attitude of ORC in condoning either irresponsible behavior like that, or condoning having an article about it (It's just plain wrong to write something like that because it makes it look like they support that type of activity)

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2000, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim,

I understand where you are coming from, no flames burnin' me! Its just that I can also see where the guy is coming from, as I use rentals on a regular basis for work (comp.geek fixing oil companies computers) and have to "half-destroy" the poor beastie for work. There is no way I would take my own Jeep or S-10 into some of these places, and the guys who work in the oil patch have company supplied beasts of burden (which are totally trashed in less than a year).

It just makes more sense to me to wreck something that isn't mine instead of something that is. My company will pay for the rental and its repairs, but not for my vehicle and its damage.

Anyway .. that's about it ..

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2000, 08:26 PM

My main point is that that article, in my opinion probably shouldn't be on a respectable online magazine, such as ORC... (If us off roaders get a worse image as a result of it, I'm about convinced our sport will be banned... At least with the current administration)... I realize, sometimes rentals are abused and stuff, but do you guys sneak them back to the rental place, or get the insurance they offer on it, and come right out and state that it's damaged? I would hope you tell 'em, especially if it was safety related like in the article... (I typed the previous part before I re-read your post and saw that you guys definitely pay for the damage and I didn't want all that typing I just did to go to waste...) Yeah, in your case it is much better to use the rental since you don't sneak 'em back, and try to avoid paying for damages... Especially since the company won't pay for damage on yours...

But my opposition to the article is it kills our image, and it's definitely not a safe thing to do/appear to endorse... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 11:43 AM

Gotta agree with you Tim!

--Drew
83 S10 Ext Cab
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode