a couple of basic questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 01:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

a couple of basic questions

Okay here is the deal, my mom has a 99 Jimmy and doesnt like it, if my grades come up this semester I get it it is 2wd and they wont let me sell it and get a 4wd so here is my question, is a locker of any use what so ever on a 2wd vehicle, or is it a waste of money. And also on a totally unrelated note what exactly is powdercoating.

BTW Here are my plans for the Jimmy so far
3 Inch suspension lift 2 inch body 32 X 11.50 BFG's brushgaurds front and rear, exhaust, rims, that pretty much covers the appearance aspect,but any other suggestions that will make the truck a little more off road capable even though it is 2wd would be much abliged....Sorry for the long post.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 04:09 AM

Re: a couple of basic questions

A locker in a 2wd vehicle is very important to it's off-roadability, in my opinion... Sort of depends on what you plan on driving it in/on, if you're using it like a pre-runner, for sand, or even for mud, it's probably much better locked, and with a set of paddle style rear tires, which although paddles aren't necessary, on the hill climbs, they make things much easier... Why doesn't she like the '99 Jimmy?

Powder coating, I believe is where they take a special gun, it's grounded to the work, and the particles of powder it sprays out are charged with an opposite charge, so they'll stick to the object... Then it's heated in an oven to bake on the powder... That's what I've always thought powdercoating was at least...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as the paddle style tires I think that is a little extreme for me seeing that i will be on-road (unfortunately) for the most part, and as to why she doesnt like it..I'm not askin any ???'s just somethin about it she doesnt like about it. Thanks for the input.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you live with your mom? If not, sell it and buy a 4x4 the same color!! Just never let her inside and she'll never know! Sure, she'll be a little pi$$ed when she finds out, but she should get over it in a year or so. I guess these ideas are why my parents have ulcers. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 12:55 PM

That's powder coating in a nutshell tim. It's supposed to be that easy too.

--Drew
83 S10 Ext Cab
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 12:56 PM

That's powder coating in a nutshell, tim. It's supposed to be that easy too.

--Drew
83 S10 Ext Cab
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So, if i do put a locker on a 2wd vehicle will i be able to handle some moderate trails or am i still llokin at being the passenger til i get 4x4?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, I usually run the trails in 2wd and I have peg leg (open diffs). The only time I use 4wd in hill climbs and deep mud. I take most of the mud holes in 2wd if they are shallow or I can get a good run at them. It just makes things more fun. You would be suprised what a Blazer can do in 2wd, things truck could never dream of in 2wd (not knocking trucks). With some good mud tires on the back, you can have alot of fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode