Dumb Shock Question... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2000, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Dumb Shock Question...

I put Bilstein's on my truck a while ago. While they ride a LOT better than the stockers I had on them when I bought my '98, I think I may have done something wrong.

The rears are designed so they only go in one way. That way is "stem down". The front isn't so straightforward, as it has an eyelet mount on each end.

Does anyone know if it should be mounted "stem UP" or "stem DOWN"? I get some front hop on the freeway which I don't know if they can be attributable to the shocks, weaker torsion bars or too much weight from tires and steel rims making the ride so rough on the front...

Thanks for any help...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2000, 12:18 AM

Re: Dumb Shock Question...

There's one way to check if they'll ride better the other way... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Yup, I think I'd flip 'em over, and see if the ride quality changes... Why not call Biltstein tech support? I'm sure they have to have a number... I'm not sure what it might be though... When you find out be sure and let us know (I'm looking at Biltsteins for my next set)...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2000, 12:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya, what sandman said. some shocks (including Bilsteins) were designed to be "upside down"
to reduce unsprung weight(in the world of racing where 1000ths/second count).
as far as hop and rough ride the valving in the front may be wrong,give them a ring
and see what they think

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> All those who wander are not necessarily lost </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2000, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

cool. i will see if i can get a message to them. and i'll let you know.
Thanks.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode