Running outta gas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Running outta gas

Well, its more like I hate running outta gas.

Has anyone taken the time to figure out a way to have a pair of huge gas tanks mounted in their S-trucks? I am thinking I would like to place a second tank on the passenger side, but can't figure out how I should mount it, and where to place the filler hole.

The other option is to build my own tank from the wreckers, cutting and welding something that is bigger than what I have now, and instead of paying $35 per fill, spend $50 per fill (not quite double). Now, if only I could distribute that weight evenly on both back tires, it would be awesome!

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 10:16 PM

Re: Running outta gas

Here's what I was thinking for me at least...

Since I have no spare tire under the bed, and no intention of putting one there, I was thinking of taking a 30-40 gallon tank from a full size and rigging something up so that it could go where the spare tire was intended to go... However the biggest problem will be I'll have with this setup is trying to run the filler line from the standard filler door, move the filler door to the back of the fender which may or may not look stupid and even be doable, or think of something else... Also, since it's quite a bit further back, it's going to need some kind of skid plate/armor on it... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Too many ideas, too little money... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had never realy paid attention before but that is where the blazer fuel door and tank is.
I think the optional tank on new 'burbs is around 60 gals and may squeeze between the frame
i've been toying with the idea of another 20gal tank on the pass side, only prob is with
the exhaust. using a transfer pump to move go juice between tanks would eleminate
the need for additional fill-up plumbing.if you do it let us know how it worked out.

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> All those who wander are not necessarily lost </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 08:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Sandman the place where you have no spare and want a tank, is very possible my cousin has a S-10 with the fuel tank on the side and his spare in the box, he went to a scrap yard found a Blazer (or a Jimmy) doesn`t matter it`s all ther same, and got the tank and all the accesories to go (filler hose and door ) bought new fuel lines and some minor electrical switches and relays and a little bit of body work, and battaboom when he`s on low flip of a switch and taadaa fulltank the only part that suck is in canada here it`s a 75 dollar fillup, for the two tanks

I`d rather push a Chev than drive a Ford
Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 01:26 PM

Well, you also have the option of putting in a fuel cell for 35-40 gallons. The only problem is you'd have to cut out some of the bed and sink the cell in there. I've also heard of problems after so many years with fuel cell bladders, but most don't have that many problems with them.

There are also a couple of fuel tank companies out there who either make replacement tanks or extra tanks. YOu might want to do a web search for them and see what comes up. Sorry, nothing comes to mind right off the bat.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have talked to Aero Tanks 909-737-7878 and Fule Safe 541-388-0203 both in So Cal. They both have replacement tanks 20, and 25 gallons i think. I am getting a custome 35 gallon w/ skid where the spare tire went and getting the stock one removed. Only about $500 bucks but thats new line, sender unit, pump, custom built to race spec w/ baffle, skid plate and installed.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty
94 GMC Sonoma (My own ZR2)Black, 3" Rancho suspention, 2" body, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT's

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2000, 12:58 AM

That sounds really good! Can you get it so that it's basically center-mounted? That's an awful lot of gas to one side of truck. weight-wise anyhow...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2000, 01:08 AM

That's the reason I'm lookin' at getting a tank from a fullsize truck, and puttin' it right in the center where the tire was... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It seems like it's a major strain on the driver's side suspension having even a full 20-24 gallon tank... They didn't think that out very well at GM... Should have used passenger side, because that's the side you don't always have someone in and the driver's side always has the driver.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Or maybe my reasoning is nonsense.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2000, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mr. Sand,

I totally agree! It was stupid of the engineers to place the heavy gas on the same side the heavy driver sits. That was the reason for me planning on adding in another gas tank (also, so I don't run outta gas).

I also am considering mounting a toolbox under the box near the back bumper. I think there is room enough there for the standard goodies, some replacement parts, and lots of oil (I am leaky).

My buddy and I are going to be installing a 1/4" steel roll-pan on the back, similar on the front, then protecting the new 1/4" steel bumpers with 1/4" wall tubing bumpers After that, I am going to fire up the old forge, and hammer out some tail-light protection. (I hope that works out well)

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2000, 10:01 PM

I'd like to see some pics of the toolbox (and how the gas tank situation turns out) if/when you decide to do it, with the standard cab in my truck, there's hardly room for 2 people, let alone tools and stuff... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode