Got a 4x4 S-15 question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2000, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got a 4x4 S-15 question

what is the possibility putting a Dana300 T-fer case in my '88 2.8l pickup? anybody know the pros and cons of swapping in this unit? does it have the same shift pattern as my stock t-case (2h-4h-n-4l)? will it mate up with my GM stuff, and what are the gear ratios? i also wanna do a Dana44 (early bronco with disc brakes) conversion, would my engine have the balls to push it all? im running 31's BTW. help me out here.....

thanks,
MeatLoaf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2000, 10:45 PM

Re: Got a 4x4 S-15 question

I could have sworn that the D300 t case had the front output shaft passenger side, so if that is true, it's not do-able on the GM IFS setup, because the IFS has the front output on the driver's side... Now I think it'll be a very good unit to use, probably nearly bullet proof... I'd guess it has a low range ratio of around 2.6 or so, but I think there's a kit that can reduce it to 4:1(?) I believe in high range it's 1:1... The engine would be able to push it, if, and it's a decent sized "if", you get it properly geared... With a smaller engine, like a 2.8L, gearing means a whole lot, and is the difference between moving good, and losin' drag races to deceased snails ([img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].. That's what I know (or think I know) at least...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2000, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

another question

another question......

The NV4500 (from a 1996 dodge 4wd) is a bolt up to the dana300, but is it possible to get a bell housing to connect my 2.8 to the nv4500, or am i asking for trouble? both the dana300 and NV4500 offer superior off-road performance, but i dont know if they fit my application. if you know of a better t-case/tranny combo for my truck, let me know.....keep in mind that it is a daily driver, nothing radical...yet.

Thanks,
MeatLoaf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2000, 11:34 PM

Re: another question

Although this would be an awesome setup in one of these trucks, I would guess you'd probably have to fabricate your own bellhousing to go from the 2.8L to the NV4500... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You might try Advance Adapters maybe send 'em an email to find out... That's about the main adapter place I can think of right off the top of my head...

However if you had a 4.3L or bigger GM small block, I believe they have adapters for the NV4500... I couldn't say totally for sure tho.. If not, the SM465 and NP205 are a good combo, that might be adaptable for you... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

another question...again

ok, i think this is the last one......

Did the NV3500 mate to the 2.8? what are its ratios? i think its standard but not sure (?) looking for info. on that as well. will it mate to a dana300? how good of a tranny is it, and is it a worthy transplant?

later,
MeatLoaf

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 01:31 PM

Re: another question...again

NV3500 M.......4.01....2.32...1.40.....1.00... .73.....Chrysler
The ratios are from 1st to 5th.. I couldn't get the column thingees to work right on here... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I found this info on an off road mailing list, not sure how accurate it is, and not sure if the GM version of the NV3500 is similar... The M on the little table thingee is saying it's medium duty... Here's the link to the place I found that info... http://www.offroadlist.com/digests/v6n213.html It is part way down the page...

Also not sure if it'll mate directly to a Dana 300 or if it'd need an adapter... If it wouldn't mate directly, I would bet that adapters are produced for this swap... However I still doubt that this tranny would bolt up to a 2.8L... You'd still have to have an adapter or at least 4.3L to bolt a GM version of it in... Not sure how accurate this is but I'd guess it's about right... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 02:13 PM

Re: another question...again

The NV3500 will only fit on the 4.3 V6.

--Drew
83 S10 Ext Cab
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

okay, i\'m frickin frustrated!

Are there ANY medium to heavy duty tranny's that'll bolt up to my 2.8? (other than the T-5)
i want the dana300 out of a jeep to bolt to it......i also wanna do the bronco-to-S-15 axle swap as well....
that will make the front drive yolk on the dana300 match up with the yolk on the front axle....all ill need is a drive shaft.

Meatloaf

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 11:57 PM

Re: okay, i\'m frickin frustrated!

I think you'll have to look to the Jeeps to find a decent (medium to heavy duty) tranny that would mate to the dana300 and the 2.8.. I think some of the buick engines found in some Jeeps would have a similar pattern to the gm 2.8, but couldn't say for sure... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] (How is the T5 identified anyway? Is it just the standard/only manual 5 speed that was used behind a 2.8L?)

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode