Long travel Front control arms - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Long travel Front control arms

Does anyone know if long travel control arms are made for an '85 S-10 Blazer or P/U?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 01:06 PM

Re: Long travel Front control arms

If you're talking about a 2WD, then yes, Fabtech and some other companies make them. They don't get as much wheel travel as the "other trucks", but it's something

If you're talking about a 4x4, you're out of luck. If you get impatient, then you can always do some cu$tom work. It'll cost you more money than you probably care to spend.

I was cited before when I asked about this that the S-series "aren't as popular as the Toyotas or FordS". So it's not worth a fabricator's time and money to make a kit that not many people would buy. Well, I know of at least four people now on this board alone that want a kit like that! Me, Sandman, wtiger and 88Blazer. Anyone else?

When I was going to do the same thing to my Toyota, it turned out to cost me roughly $5000 for the entire setup. This included shocks, shock hoops, fiberglass fenders, control arms, bushings, rear springs, S/S brake lines, heavier torsion bars, mild welding, T-100 axle stubs, 930 CV joints and chromoly bearing cages, cutting the flange off the front axle ends and "re-flanging" it to accept the new CV's. Oh and putting in racing seats and some four-point harnesses.

If ANYONE could point us to a GOOD fabricator who can do something like this for a good price (as opposed to VERY CHEAP -- I believe very cheap prices equate to cheap service at times with fabbing), please post on this board!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I called Camburg the other day and asked about putting some longer arms on my 4x4 S-10. They said they mostly do 2wd vehicles, but said they could add longer arms and crank the torsion bars for about $2,500. I don't know what all else that price included, but for that much, I think I might as well get the Trailmaster kit. Anyway, it is a place to try if anyone wants custom work done. Web address is http://www.camburg.com/.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will the FabTech 2wd control arms bolt on to the 4wd front end? Im asking because the Blazer is a off-road racer and when I get a 4.3, I'm taking out the T-case and will be 2wd (I have a mini-spool for the stock rear end). Mods, mods, mods...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I asked Fabtech about doing just that and they flat out said it wouldn't work but didn't say why. I'd imagine it's because the 2wd uses coil springs and the 4wd uses torsion bars. I have no idea, though, whether or not you can directly bolt the 2wd arms onto a 4wd. Even if you did, though, you would probably have to convert to coil springs up front (talk to Sandman about that one [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). If you want to try it, though, my reccomendation is e-mailing Fabtech and finding out what all would be involved.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 06:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have long thought of this...Mmmmmmm 12 inches of travel :~o Being that my truck is an every day driver I dont think I'll chop my a-arms for longer ones and somehow fit those Race runners from sway-a-way with dual rate coil overs between the arm and CV shaft. (by by tortion bars). I mean I cant really disassemble the hole front end, getting rid of that tiny 7.25 front axle and replacing it with a cut down dana 44 and use cu$tom length 930 CV's. ALOT stronger and more gear choises. If your gonna do this, do it once! I have been thinking of this since I first saw my truck after the 3" Rancho kit was installed 5 years ago. THATS IT?!?!?!?!? That all the lift I get???

Just got my truck back from the shop adding on a 2" body lift. This weekend im getting 33x12.5's.... Looks really funny with the 31's...

BTW JR!!!! place me on your list fro them A-arms!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode