after market gauges? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

after market gauges?

can anybody tell me if aftermarket gauges (oil pressure, water temp, tach, and volts) could be linked into an '88 S-15? my idea is to make a sheet metal panel that will fit in the console, rivet the stock speedo to that and install gauges (with warning lights controlled by the ecm). does that sound do-able?
also, has anyone ever deleted the emissions system from a 2.8? what results did you obtain? (im removing the egr, air pump, charcoal can, and moving the pcv valve into a custom made breather....) comments and suggestions appreciated..

thanks,

MeatLoaf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 04:23 PM

Re: after market gauges?

I don't see how changing the gauges would be really difficult to do, especially in GM vehicle. The only problems you're going to have are what color you want and if it's vacuum or mechanical!

As far as the smog? I live in California. 'Nuff said.

Take care.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 06:05 PM

When you go the guage conversion if you don't mind, take plenty of pictures, and send the write up in to the Chevy page editor... I'm definitely interested in that...

Now as for the emissions control system, I think removing that stuff on a computer controlled engine is just askin' for trouble, I think it may cause the computer to go bezerk (and make it run weird), even though the components you are referring to may not be directly tied into it... On my carbuerated 85, I'm planning to remove the emissions junk as soon as the weather gets warm (previous owner did a half a$$ed job when he/she tried to remove the emissions, didn't plug vacuum ports, only got rid of about 1/2 the stuff, in general it's a mess... Since I don't have to worry about the smog nazis up here in MI yet, it's easier to remove it, than try and figure it out)... I intend to take some pictures, and would be able to send you the info, if you'd want it, not sure how useful it would be on your 88 tho...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 09:49 PM

I did that guage conversion in my '78 full size, it wasn't too hard. To keep the electrics clean buy a wiring harness from Radio Shack so you can unplug all of the guages at once to make removal easier. My stepfather also did the guage conversion on his '89 fullsize Chevy, but the computers and the fact that there's alot more going on in a late-model dash electrically made it more difficult. You'll probably have to get the Autometer electric Speedo, and their sender for it, because I know for a fact that the factory GM electronic sender will not communicate with the Autometer correctly, and I don't think there's a mechanical speedo gear in late trannys. You'll have to run all new wiring for the guages because the factory wiring goes through the computer and apparantly the new guages will confuse it. The other problem my stepdad had was the fact that on his truck the efi uses the speedo signal to control fuel flow, and he couldn't figure out how to put in the new speedo without confusing the computer. The only way he can do it is with a piece that Dakota Digital makes, but as of right now that piece is only availabe as part of an entire guage conversion kit. Anyways, this is probably useless info to you, but maybe it'll help you out a bit.

<font color=red>Evan</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Contagious Off-Road
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 11:33 AM

I did the same thing on mine. The sparkplugs on the passenger side are easy to get at now that the AIR system is gone. Overall the engine compartment looks cleaner(I hate large masses of wires & hoses).

--Drew
83 S10 Ext Cab
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. i would also like to know if removing the emissions control system makes any performance difference. also, TIM, send as many pics as you want, I really need alot of help and advice pertaining to this truck as a whole. i need to figure out how to crank up the torsion bars as well, if anybody can help me out there........

thanks,
MeatLoaf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode