Right off the road in 4x4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Right off the road in 4x4

No, I didn't go off the road in 4 wheel drive, but my truck does seem to pull way to the right when I put it in 4H. When I got on a snowy freeway this winter and got up to 70 mph or so, I swore someone must have knocked my front tires around w/ a sledge hammer. When the snow melted, though, I drove on the same freeway in 2 wheel drive and the alignment was straight as could be. Anybody else have similar problems and/or explanations?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 07:31 PM

Re: Right off the road in 4x4

That sounds like one side of hubs isn't engaging. I would check to see that both sides of the front end engage and try driving it at slower speeds to see if you can duplicate it.

Hope that gives you a start.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 09:54 PM

Just a thought, but 70 on a slippery surface probably isn't the best choice anyway, at least where others are around [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just keep in mind, if someone pulls in front of you unexpectedly, it's just 4 wheel drive and that don't help stopping distance any... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just figured I'd mention that...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 10:00 PM

I just had a thought after I re-read your post, and figured this might be the problem when your front tires got knocked around... If it was snowy, you wouldn't have been able to see a fairly large ice chunk, such as the kind that collect near the back side of wheel wells on vehicles, if it had been in just the right spot, and the right shape, it could have kicked your steering around pretty bad I would guess.. Especially since the problem was gone when the snow was... Just a theory... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] And on my truck at least, it slides to the right if I give it too much throttle and the tires break loose, so that might be at least a little of the problem... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

uhm.. i always thought u werent sposed to go much over 45 mph while in 4wd. is this correct or can you go as fast as you want?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Justin Bow [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 10:15 PM

I think the 45 mph thing you mentioned was because if you need to use 4wd because it's that slick or something, you don't have much business going faster anyway, because if it's that slippery you probably won't be able to stop if you go faster... Not sure though.. I've had my little truck doing about 70 or so on some sand dunes once, and it didn't hurt anything (i think) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

(Sorry about all the preachin' I've done about going fast in snow, but I'm always concerned about not just the people in the vehicle going fast but all the others on the roads too) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 11:18 PM

Let's just say it's been done. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. In my case I was heading down the beach in San Felipe and loving every minute of it. 4hi is much more forgiving in that respect. The extra strain COULD cause problems, but if you're careful it'll do just fine.

Now 4lo, that could be a problem at 70! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode