Solid Axle Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Solid Axle Questions

Ok guys,

i have heard that some early 80's toy axles fit the 4x4 S-10 up front, and other people say use a 77 bronco front axle......
what would be better and more cost effective on a budget? i HATE my IFS system, and i gotta have solid axle....also, will my
stock 2.8 and 5-speed(*) power the new axle? and will i need a new front drive shaft to make it work? i think my transfer case(*) can handle
new gear ratios, and a heavier axle, so that aint a problem......
also, if you have a list of what i'll need to do this swap, please send it my way.....or if you've done a toyota-to-early bronco axle swap also.
thanks,
JAY

p.s- (*) can you help me identify these? my truck is an '88 s-15 sierra 4x4 with 2.8l v-6, tbi, and a 5-speed tranny.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2000, 11:49 PM

Re: Solid Axle Questions

I had been thinking of looking at finding a Dana 44 out of a Jeep... Not sure what would be involved in that tho... Now about Toy axles, the birfield/marfield are expensive from what I've gathered.. These might or might not be in danger of being broken, but on different style axles, that use U joints instead of birfields they can be replaced for $8 each side, instead of a few hundred... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] But I don't wish to start a war here, enough of that has gone on on the Jeep and Toy boards... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just my thoughts...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 10:47 AM

You should have a T-5 5spd manual and an NP 207 transfer case.

--Drew
83 S10 Ext Cab
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

as far as I'm concerned solid is the only way. The sandman is correct about the toy stuff.
before I got my s10 i had a '80 toy w/ 6"lift, the four hamster motor (lumpy cam,header,
weber 32,port matched intake) and 36" TSL's. the truck was almost unstoppable, but
when it broke it was expensive(3steering arms, 2 tranies and I can't count the number
of wiper seal with my shoes off) the cv at the steering nuckle was tough but a headeache
to keep the goo out. Also the carrier is a weak link. I'm investigating jeep dana 44's.
Drew is right, it's a t5 by borg warner. Look in your glove box at the RPO sticker
ML2 4.03first gear-.72 5th
ML3 3.73first gear-.72 5th
MH3 3.50firstgear-.73 5th

the t-case should be a NP207(i think '88 was the last). I talked to a guy at ADVANCED
ADAPTERS and he said the T5 would grenade w/much more then 250hp, but the NP207
would take a s.b.(???) a place to visit is http://www.gearzone.net take a look at
there EXPLOSION CLUB (been there done that,not a good thing) they also do upgrades and
have kits for T5's.
Another good read is http://hickory.engr.utk.edu/~gpowell/3.html ,Greg did a great
article on a truck owned by Mark Hall (what a sweet ride,Mark did a killer job) done up
with the early bronco stuff, a mile of lift and 39"TSL's(oh,and a 383c.i.)

from my searching this is not a job for the timid. As far as power i'll let ya know what a 3.4
does with solids after i do it. the only subsitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars!

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> All those who wander are not necessarily lost </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been looking around for a solid axle candidate every junkyard I visit and every old farmhouse I drive by (it's nice to dream). I haven’t found anything with a Dana 44 with a driver’s side diff. The only ones I know of that will fit are the pre-77 Bronco and some 70's (years??) narrow track Cherokees/Wagoneers. Anyone know of any others? What makes it even harder is the older Bronco’s had drum brakes.
The thought of a Dana 30 crossed my mind. Pretty common, disk drakes, has a common bolt pattern (5x4.5), they should be about the right width (never measured), and Warn makes kits for the outer axles that make then as strong as the 44. Four liter Jeeps with 35’s rock crawl with them.
If you were going though the trouble of a swap, the beefier 44 would make more sense if you can find them. Just a thought…

See my post I put under the mid sized jeeps for more info. on the Dana 30's

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2000, 11:00 PM

As for the driver's side offset D44's, I had planned on looking for one with a passenger side output, swap in a SM465 tranny I think, and put either a NP205 or something about as heavy duty... A 350 in front would be very nice too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img], but that's gonna be way more cash than I can allocate for a few years.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Maybe a Dana 60 and corp 14 bolt FF rear would work good.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] and some 44" superswampers, and a blown 454, and nitrous, and 2 afterburning jet engines (for improved passing) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Oops, I guess I went a bit crazy there.. haha.. But could y'all imagine that beast? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode