Carb Icing... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Carb Icing...

Here's my idea: I have an '84 S10 2wd sitting around behind my house that I'm using for a parts truck... I noticed the intake on it has a heating grid located in it. I believe this is known as the "Early Fuel Evaporation" (EFE) heating grid. My 85 2.8L intake doesn't have this heating grid. I am pondering swapping the intake that has the EFE grid into my 85, and wiring it up so that it is controlled by a toggle switch on the dash, so I can turn it on/off when I think I may need it. I believe I would keep it on whenever the air is less than about 40 or 50 degrees, at least when it's cold... Now, I am not sure if this will solve the icing problem or help it much, but I figure it couldn't hurt... What are the opinions on this? The EFE takes 12V, right?

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Carb Icing...

Where is this grid located? When you say intake, do you mean air filter intake that brings air to the carb, or intake manifold under the carb? I don't remember seeing this on my truck. . The only thing on my truck that would heat up the air is the hose that runs from the exhaust manifold to the air filter, it's controlled by a thermal valve that runs off of vacum. It's function is to heat up incoming air by sucking in the warm air surrounding the exhaust manifold. The most logical reason I can't find it is whomever put the new engine in (previous owner) put in a newer "model" engine that does not have an EFE. It could also be I'm not looking in the right spot.
My carb acted up again today, although not quite as bad as before but it is still annoying. When I got to school I checked everything, and tightened some vacum hoses on the thermal switch, I hope this solves it.

Realizing you can't start you parts truck and test the voltage, I would check a Chilton's manual. If you don't have one try your nearest public library, the one near me has manuals for all cars and trucks. Failing that, if it's electrical, and it's on a truck, it's probably a safe bet it's 12v ( all this coming from a guy who's not even sure what an EFE looks like).

The Duke

There's somethin' women like about a pickup man
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

It's in the intake manifold... To find out if you have one, hold the choke plate open, hold the throttle open with the engine off, and look down the carb... You will be able to see the grid through there if you have it... It has some pretty thick wires going to the connection for it, so I'm almost 100% sure it'll be 12V but I'll check to see if my Haynes manual has it in there... I'll report my findings when I learn anything... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can see a grid of 1/8 by 1/8 inch holes when I look down my carb. I assume this is the grid you are talking about. I'm not sure which wires are the power wires (It's about 10 degrees out I didn't look very hard). I did see what looks like a temperature sensor type of unit that screws into the intake in between the carb and the a/c compressor that has wires clipped on to it. If you let me know for sure which are the power wires, and I could hook a volt meter up and see what kind of voltage it is.

The Duke

There's somethin' women like about a pickup man
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

I'm not exactly sure, and it's dark and really cold right now... Tomorrow I'll go out and check out which ones I think are the power wires to it... Sounds like that temp sensor looking thing might be it...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode