S-10 / ZR-2 Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2000, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

S-10 / ZR-2 Help

Hey Everyone:

I'm new here, but old to 4-wheeling. I built a killer CJ-7 (ARBs, TPI, Air Compressor, 35s, etc) that went everywhere in CA (Rubicon, Dusy, Hammers, etc.). It was a little overboard and a little too impractical (meaning, I sold it). I'm looking for something a little more practical, comfortable, and still with enough teeth to get me to a few of my favortie spots that aren't quite on the extreme side of things--I'm tired of a weekend of wheeling followed by a weekend of repairs.

I really like the ZR-2, but I want to fit 33s and run at least a rear ARB. I know the beast is different enough from regular S-10s that there's not really any kits for suspension lift, but does anyone know if it can be body lifted about 3" to fit 33s? If so, who makes a kit, or can it use a regular S-10 kit? Also, anyone with experience with ARBs in this truck? Is the rear the same as a normal S-10 (meaning ARB is available)? And, if I'm barking up the wrong tree, should I consider a regular (non-ZR-2)?

I hope there's at least a few guys out there that actually get their S-10s out in the rocks that know where I'm coming from. The Jeep guys are crazy, and I hoping there's a few here like that, too....

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2000, 09:27 PM

Re: S-10 / ZR-2 Help

I believe J.R. would be the guy to put that to the attention of... He has a new style S10, compared to my '85 and he seems to have done all his homework on lifts for this type of vehicle... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I believe that the body mounts on the trucks are the same, so I can't see a problem (except for the usual stuff, like maybe having to modify the shift mechanism or something like that, and relocate the fan shroud... I also believe that the rears are the same from regular and ZR2 S10's... I'm sure someone here can tell you for sure... From what we've been tossin' around, we've pretty much determined that virtually no one makes a long travel suspension kit for the S trucks... I'd guess you'd definitely rather have a suspension lift on that than a body lift for better clearance on the rocks? This thing is considerably longer than the Jeep you had, isn't it?

I'd be running on the rocks, but up here in Michigan, all we have is some sand dunes and some mud (at least that I've been able to find...)... (If anyone in the Michigan area knows where I can play on some rocks, let me know)

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2000, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been looking into the ZR2's a bit. They have 8 1/2 rearends that are 4 in wider and alot stronger than the regular 7 5/8. The front suspension appears beefer and wider also, but I don't know any specifics. I'm pretty sure the aftermarket suspension systems will not fit the ZR2. I would think a body lift from a regular S-10 would fit, call Summit (1-800-230-3030) or Jegs (1-800-345-4545) and ask. I like Jegs service ALOT better. Judging by the clearence on a stock ZR2, 33 shouldn't be a problem with a 3 inch body lift. I believe that the ZR2 package comes with a rear LSD. You will not find too many rock crawling S-10's. They are just too expensive and complicated to lift, therefore, few aftermarket parts. Most go the easy way and get a Jeep. As long as you realize this, the S-10 is a great daily driver and a semi-competent off-road truck. Damn good in the mud, I know that for sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2000, 01:13 AM

"They are just too expensive and complicated to lift, therefore, few aftermarket parts"

Someday, I hope to change that...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2000, 01:16 AM

When you've changed the cost and complication problem, J.R. let me know! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2000, 01:21 AM

From what I know about the ZR2, other than the facts that I can't find one in So. Cal. and won't pay the price for a new one...

ZR2 has the wide stance package. You get the following and I may be wrong on some of them:
Wider frame for extra track width.
Wider A-arms and axle shafts for more travel, (don't know about this one).
Heavier torsion bars than "normal".
Bilstein or equivalent mono-tube shocks.
3.73 gear ratio, and from what I've been told it's the same basic rear end as the 1500 trucks (don't know about this one either).

I'm guessing the body mounts and locations are basically the same. All body lifts are just different pucks in place of or in addition to the stock mounts. SOMEONE has to make something for this truck! Most shops will just cut the bottom of the fan shroud instead of moving it, so if you don't want it that way be prepared to tell the installer (if not you) and pay extra cash! I'm pretty sure all the new ones come with the push button Tx case, so you don't have to worry about that, but there will be miscellaneous hoses and so forth that won't hold unless you take off either the mount on the frame or the body to give them some slack. If you get an automatic tranny, the linkage should be long enough to handle the lift. If not? Don't know. If you get the manual tranny, your worst problem is going to be the possibility of the shift boot not holding a seal and making noise and hot air into the cab.

Did I cover it all? Um, who knows!?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2000, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yo J.R.
You know your truck. I did a lot of research on this also. Yes it has a wider frame. A-arms and shafts are the same. They lower the sub frame to gain the height. similar to Ranchos kit. thats what I got. Tortion bars on ZR2 are the medium duty. I got my Sonoma with HD suspention insted of the ZR2 because I knew I would lift it. Well, s-10's have light duty bars. Tried to order the HD from GM. They only have the right side and the left was discontinued.This my have changed since I stoped looking 4 years ago so i got the medium. I finaly found a shop that has aftermarket s-10 bars from Rough Country $250 buks tho. No one makes them anymore and Sway-a-ways are impossible to find so these are hot. 20% more stiffness and about1 1/2 hight increase. E-mail me for location on them (limited supply). And yes again the axle is the 10 bolt in the larger 8.5 carrier insted of (what I got) 7 5/8 POS.( Im looking for a Dana 44 to swap.) Yes they do make the ARB for that axle and the 7 5/8 why i don't know.
With my 3" Rancho im installing a 2" body next weekend so I can fit 33". I will do a write up and pics for OFF-0ROAD because there is nothing out there for us S-10 group. For the bodylift I think there is a difference because they list a diff part number for the ZR2.

By the way, when you get one of the fab guys to make the long travel kit. I will be second in line!!!!! I asked a few of them earlier this year, Donahoe, Campbell, Camburg, and they all split a side when I said 4WD S-10.

Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty
94 GMC Sonoma (My own ZR2)Black, 3" Rancho suspention, 2" body(SOON), Flex-a-lite elec fan Mod 60, Edelbrock headers W\ high-flow cat & custom bent all the way, Flowmaster 3 chamber, Jacobs Milage Master Ultra Team ,K&N induction system II, LITTLE 31" BFG on Centerline HT cast 8". Prerunner bumpers front & rear & cage in bed.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2000, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yo J.R.
You know your truck. I did a lot of research on this also. Yes it has a wider frame. A-arms and shafts are the same. They lower the sub frame to gain the height. similar to Ranchos kit. thats what I got. Tortion bars are the medium duty. I got my Sonoma with HD suspention insted of the ZR2 because I knew I would lift it. Well, s-10's have light duty bars. Tried to order the HD from GM. They only have the right side and the left was discontinued.This my have changed since I stoped looking 4 years ago. I finaly found a shop that has aftermarket s-10 bars from Rough Country $250 buks tho. No one makes them anymore and Sway-a-ways are impossible to find so these are hot. E-mail me for location on them (limited supply). And yes again the axle is the 10 bolt in the larger 8.5 carrier insted of (what I got) 7 5/8 POS.( Im looking for a Dana 44 to swap) Yes they do make the ARB for that axle and the 7 5/8 why i don't know.
With my 3" Rancho im installing a 2" body next weekend so I can fit 33". I will do a write up and pics for OFF-0ROAD because there is nothing out there for us S-10 group. For the bodylift I think there is a difference because they list a diff part number for the ZR2.

By the way, when you get one of the fab guys to make the long travel kit. I will be second in line!!!!! I asked a few of them earlier this year, Donahoe, Campbell, Camburg, and they all split a side when I said 4WD S-10.

Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty
94 GMC Sonoma (My own ZR2)Black, 3" Rancho suspention, 2" body(SOON), Flex-a-lite elec fan Mod 60, Edelbrock headers W\ high-flow cat & custom bent all the way, Flowmaster 3 chamber, Jacobs Milage Master Ultra Team ,K&N induction system II, LITTLE 31" BFG on Centerline HT cast 8". Prerunner bumpers front & rear & cage in bed.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2000, 08:45 PM

Yeah, I've already talked with Craig Stewart at Stewart Race Works about his S-10 monster (see April 98 ORdotC). He said he's too busy doing one-offs and the popularity of the other vehichles doesn't justify the effort.

One day... one day...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 05:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hace a 97 GMC highrider, and have been told that a regular s-10 body lift will
work. i am ordering one tomorrow and will tell you for sure in a few days.
i have had the same prob. w/ ppl not knowing ne thing about these lifts and
so i am going to find out for my self i guess. i will be happy to share ne info
i learn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode