Considering buying a H3 any recommendations? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Hummer, Humvee and Hummer II Discussion of all things relating to the General Motors Hummer, Hummer II and Humvee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Considering buying a H3 any recommendations?

I own two Wrangler Rubicon's, a 2004 and a 2006 Unlimited.

I don't care much for the New 4 Door Wrangler at this moment and was considering buying a H3.

Does anyone own one, how do the trail compared to a H2?

I don't want to buy a H3 if it is anything like My Jeep Liberty...LOL

Liberty is a great trail Jeep, and handles mud pretty good but even with a lift kit is lousy on rocks as well as fording stream and rivers.

Nate and I will watch for your replies guys and thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Old Hand

Re: Considering buying a H3 any recommendations?

they rely on some sort of push button 4x4 system. something like electric motor's and linear actuators run everything. electric mixing with mud and water... that will work out good...

they do have a good off road look and people seem to like them.

Last edited by MouseMotor; 03-06-2009 at 06:59 AM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 12:50 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

We like the H3 we got for my wife. Far more wheelable (in stock form) than anything else GM is putting out right now. The 4:1 t-case is great, especially with the 4.56 gears. I'm sure the standard is really sweet with the extra low grunt, but my wife is done with her 'standard tranny days'. I can't compare it to a Liberty, since I have not owned or driven one. I will say it's much more capable than our 94 Jeep GC was. The rear locker is nice, but I don't like the "low range only" factor. But in low, it does perform without issue. The suspension is somewhat stiff, but it seems to work fine that way... like it was designed around it. Like most IFS, it's flexier in the back, than in the front. Firm, but not harsh ride, on the street. I've gotten great mileage in ours. Way better than our 01 4wd Tahoe ever even thought about getting. The engine power is somewhat lacking.. but not as bad as the wrap it's gottne. Granted it's no racer, but it will get you on the freeway etc. I would prefer a diesel option, or a v6. I know lots of folks would like to see a V8 in them, but I'd rather give up some extra power for some respectable mpg.

This Hummer owner isn't afraid to wheel it. In fact I wheeled ours pretty hard with the paper plates still on it. We've had it since July, and we're very happy with it. If aliens abducted it tonight.. we'd still go out and buy another one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Well that is a start, some good and some bad about this Rig, thanks guys!

I like the smaller more agile look of the H3 it's more like a older Jeep Cherokee in my eyes.

I was concerned about the Tech info I recently read about fording in these rigs.

Electrical problems about I see it was true as was posted.

It's not like I plan to take my Hummer 3 and live in a lake or river, but dang straight that if the 4x4 goes that is not the place you want to loose it.

And from what I read it is what out a doubt the place many H3 owners have been loosing their 4x4 in the water.

Think I will wait until that issue is resolved before I by a H3.

The New Rubicon 4 door is starting to look all the better again to me.

You can flood a Jeep and it won't breakdown on you...LOL

Thanks Guys.

Bleddyn and Nate
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 PM

I've had the H3 in deep water & mud without issue. I've also had my 97 K1500 in water up the the headlights without issue. I'm still on my stock actuator, so I won't say that mouses experiences are not legit, but they're not the norm either. I go to a hummer board here and there and several there have wheeled their H3's fairly hard, and I've heard of no electrical issues when crossing streams. The H3 is fulltime 4wd, and not all wheel drive.

Like you I think of the H3 as being a new fangled cherokee. In my opinion, it's about as close as you'll get to them since they're no longer in production.

Good luck on the 4 door rubi. My buddy is adie hard Jeep lover who owns a rubi and he said he would'nt buy a 4 door due to some problems. I didn't get the specifics.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Old Hand

i'm sure there are some people out there who do wheel them

Last edited by MouseMotor; 03-06-2009 at 06:57 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 08:37 AM

Hmmmm... if I didn't know better, I would say that you have never seen or driven an H3 on the trail before - because it sounds like you are just speculating and haven't actually seen one in action.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the capabilities of the H3 on the trail. It is significantly more capable than the Liberty, and out of the box I would take it over the FJ cruiser in a second. The FJ has a larger aftermarket right now, though, and a less expensive base price - so there are definite up-sides there.

I have yet to see the electric actuators have any issues water or mud, but I will admit that they are relatively new yet, and I have always preferred a manually-shifted 2-speed t-case. If I had the spare cash to buy a new vehicle right now, I would definitely add an H3 to my 4x4 fleet.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Old Hand

Most car companies are getting manual shifting for push button 4x4, so it may be unavoidable to have a truck with the electric concern.

Last edited by MouseMotor; 03-06-2009 at 07:02 AM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when i first heard of the H3, i was very happy to hear GM was taking a crack at a small but capable off roader. they did meet one criteria, small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha.. it would seem that all the off road magazine editors who have tested the H3, would not agree with you. All of them that have tested the H3 mentioned it was very capable in stock form. But, then again you have not even been in one, so I guess you're just basing your info off of .... what ... a guess?

I'm not a big Hummer fan myself. In fact I really didn't want to get one when my wife first mentioned that she wanted an H3. But after checking it out etc, I'd have to say it's far more capable in stock form than anything GM has put out before. Yeah, there are many things they could have done better. I'm sure I could come up with a huge list for any make of vehicle that could be improved. But, unfortuntly, I don't work for the corperations that are producing our current fleets of 4wd's.

But, I have at least sent a message to them, with my purchase, that says there some of us out here who want trail capable daily drivers.. and not low riders with transfer cases. The better the sales, in that market, the more future selections we'll all have across the board.

You're welcome.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Old Hand

car and driver rated the H3 among its rivals.

the results:

First Place: Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4WD
Second Place: Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD
Third Place: Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD
Fourth Place: Hummer H3

they loved it in their off road test, so it has that going for it

Last edited by MouseMotor; 03-06-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode