I winched out a Hummer today!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Hummer, Humvee and Hummer II Discussion of all things relating to the General Motors Hummer, Hummer II and Humvee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2000, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I winched out a Hummer today!!!

Just wanted to let you Hummer people know that a Hummer owner made my day today. I met a hummer owner today in the woods while wheeling with a bunch of friends. He tried to follow a suburbon with 36's and he sunk it bad. With water inside and water 1/2 full in the air cleaner I had to winch him out.

Take a look at http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/Hummer/

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I winched out a Hummer today!!!

Yup, I was in a Hummer when it got stuck TWICE in the same spot. Got winched out both times by a Land Rover Discovery. Unlike what most people think about Hummers that don't know much about off-roading, Hummers are not the be all end all of trucks so to speak. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]toy4x4boy
<font color=blue>1989 TOYOTA SR5 V6 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 09:00 AM
Addict

Well, as a driver of a military model I agree to a certain extent, but disagree with the essence of your "be all end all of trucks so to speak" statement. 90% of it all depends on the driver of the vehicle. A humvee (military model anyway) drives and handles off road like no other vehicle on the road today. I can take you places in a HMMWV that almost no other vehicle on the road today would even dare to go, and places that only the elite in the 4wd community would think of going - unless it was a dare over $20 after one two many beers. There are some mud holes that even a tank would get stuck in, but no one would say that the new Abrams is not the current "be all end all of tanks so to speak."

I won't lie to you - I've seen hummers stuck, but it was usually because the driver was an incidental operator, or the Motor T bubba was just screwing around when he shouldn't have been. I've taken hummers through mud and water so deep that I had to lock the throttle, unbuckle, and stand up with my head pressed to the roof to keep my chin out of the water. Now that's a kickin' 4x4! As long as you keep your RPM's up enough to keep the torque up and keep traction with only one wheel, you won't stop. I have transversed slopes so steep that a stock pickup would have tipped over - let alone a top heavy SUV. I have driven up to a 18" high retaining wall, locked it in 4 low, and drove over the wall scraping the undercarriage all the way through - with no vehicle damage except scraping off underbody paint. Now try the equivalent of that in your toy! I have taken a hummer at high speeds across open terrain so rough that only a Baja race truck suspension would had survived it. Give me an unlimited cash resource to purchase a 4wd, and I'd purchase a Hummer - even though everyone who knows me knows I am a Jeep freak.

What I don't understand is why these yuppies spend $40k - $90k on these vehicles and don't spend the extra $1k to get a winch on it! What is the price difference of a vehicle payment on a $70k vehicle as opposed to a $71k vehicle when you are in the market for one? Maybe they should have purchased the winch instead of the $2.5k premium sound system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2000, 12:41 PM

I want the military version... But the stupid DOT says I can't drive one on the road, and I don't like that.. That and there aren't really any surplus ones available... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I would want something without many things in it, like stereo, and that kind of crap.. Just want a nice highly capable truck with some useful stuff like the CTIS thingee that you can adjust the tire pressures with, the snorkel, and a winch... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Oh, and did I forget to mention fairly affordable? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Sandman...and all Hum-V freaks...My Dad works with Boeing on this V-22 Osprey and it just looked cool gettin a free ride...Ever been stuck this bad? Or how's this for gettin winched out?-Sandrew

Attached Files
File Type: art 27-69-hummerland.art (14.3 KB, 47 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 04:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jay,
With all due respect, it really depends on your idea of a "kickin' 4x4". The Hummer is great at what it was designed for which is an all around offroad preformer with the ability to actually carry a payload and is very versatile. If, on the other hand, it was put in a specialized environment such as rockcrawling only, mud bogging only or sand duning only, it would get a serious butt kicking by more specialized vehicles.

My point is that while the Humvee is a very good all around 4wd it doesn't compare to a vehicle specifically modified for a certain type of terrain. Your 18" retaining wall isn't really much of an analogy and neither is your steep hill story. I know plenty of Jeeps and Toys and rock buggies that can do the same thing and do a MUCH better job of it than a Hummer. I've wheeled a few 4 plus trails with Hummers and they had LOTS of trouble just b/c of their sheer size and not so flexy suspensions. Just thought I'd throw out another viewpoint.
Take care,
Sean
BTW, who cares if this guy winched out a Hummer? -It's not what you buy; it's what you build.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 10:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey sean, following your logic, which you are saying that hummers arn't exactly all that because they don't perform a speciality function really well, would you agree that your rockcrawler might not be as good at crossing water, hauling a load or soldiers, and i know that for sure that it doesn't have a gun or missles on it. everything depends on what you are going to do with it. as jay said he thinks it is a "kickin 4X4" for him it is, and our toys would be junk in no time if we let grunts drive them. on the other hand as you said a hummer is not good at rockcrawling but that is not what the military needs them for. it just depends on what you need to do with it. i think we are argueing the same point, i just need to clarify. now for civvy hummer owners to think they drive the best, that is just thier attitude, but we already know this. in fact i believe that jay is the only hummer sorry hmmv driver on this board.

<font color=blue>TomKlipp<font color=blue>
100% Y2K DEFIANT
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

tomklipp-BTW, is tom your first name?
You hit the nail on the head.
PRECISELY my point.
I thought I stated it is very good for what the military designed it for and that it is a great all around performer but would get its hat handed to it in a competition type event between it and vehicles specifically prepped for that type of event. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Oh and BTW, my truck BLOWS at ANYTHING but rockcrawling.
Sean

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 05:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hello sean, yes tom is my first name, i just left it as tomklipp because that was what it was on the old system. anyway, you did state that is was versitile, i need to re-read your post to relize that. i was just saying the same thing but just sayig that it's specialitlty function is to be super versitile. crawler no, war machine yes, family hauler no, beefy yes.

<font color=blue>TomKlipp<font color=blue>
100% Y2K DEFIANT
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK...OK...we all settled the debate, and all I want to know is "Did anyone like my PICTURE?" Dammit, I took the time to send it, the least you could do is THANK me by telling me "hey,cool picture" or something...God!
Sorry,
I seemed to have gotten caught up in the emotion of the debate...
All is well.
That V22 could come winch me out anytime!- Later dudes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode