Will only a pitman arm fix my toe in/out? lifted 89 ford f250 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Will only a pitman arm fix my toe in/out? lifted 89 ford f250

sorry for the double post, but i posted this in the ford section and i havent gotten anything, and i kind of need this info asap

ok so as the subject says i bought an 89 f250 with a 3" lift.

i purchased this truck for my landscaping business and i know nothing about the necessary parts for lifting trucks and what those parts do. i have been driving it for about 2 years with it riding on the outside edges of the front tires and they're starting to get pretty worn down. the tires look like this from the front view \---/ with the "/" being the tires lol. it isnt that bad but im sure you catch my drift. from what i understand, my dilemma is the toe in and out on the front wheels.

from my research, a dropdown pitman arm wasnt installed. i bought a replacement (found here: JC Whitney ) and when i compared the 2 arms under the truck side by side, i see that i was correct in that a dropdown pitman arm wasnt installed when it was lifted.

my question is this. is the dropdown pitman arm all i need to fix the issue with the front wheels toe in and toe out? or is something else necessary to flatten the wheels out.

i can take pictures if necessary because like i said i dont know anything about what parts are needed to lift the truck. im trying to fix the problem myself so i can save some money

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Addict

First of all, even with everthing adjusted properly, Fords with the twin I-beam suspension tend to wear the outside edge of the tires. Is it toe in or is it camber? toe in is when the tires point toward each other in front of the truck (less distance between the tires infront than behind). camber is when the tops of the tires lean out (farther apart on top than bottom). I would take it by an allignment shop and ask them what parts you would need to change out for them to give it a proper allignment. they may be able to work with it as is.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

may bad it is the camber. i brought it in to one guy and asked him if he could align it but he said the way it is he couldnt do it. thats how i found out about the pitman arm. do you think the pitman arm will be enough to somewhat fix it? like i said im trying to whatever i can myself because im strapped for money right now. plus i dont want to go through the hassle of swapping the pitman arms if i dont even have to because it needs a different part to fix the camber part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Addict

sorry, but the pitman arm has nothing to do with the camber.

this link should explain alot.
http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11092
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

awesome post! thats really helpful cuz i dont know crap about this stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode