AMC 28 to mount in 1962 M151-LC - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

AMC 28 to mount in 1962 M151-LC

Pulling the Power pack (AMC 258) and 5 speed tranny from a 1991 Jeep Cherokkee Pioneer to rebuild and modify for the Desert Racer

Well I had the chance and the weather to pull the power pack from the 1991 Jeep Pioneer today.

This sweet little engine runs like a top, but I plan to do some modifications to this engine that will make this engine even better.

The engine has a fuel injection and that has to go!

I am going to be installing a carb as well as a distributer with points.

This will also allow for the use of Nitrous down the road...LOL

The engine will be torn down this week and then the rebuild will happen as soon as I can save up the money for the new parts.

This engine and tranny are a log bigger then the original M151 power pack and certain parts like the drive shaft will have to be modified to and shortened to allow for the new power pack to work.

This is one of the reasons the M151 is not a big player in the Jeep world so many costly mods and time consuming adaptations to make the whole project work.

With the M151 their is not of room to make mods without uni-body alterations. I wanted to place a 302 Ford Mustang engine in this rig, but the lack of engine compartment space and frame seperation just would not allow for it.

Here are the pictures of the engine and tranny.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 08:58 PM

That is not a AMC 258; it is a AMC 4.0L High Output inline 6. The design was inspired by the 258 but not all the parts are interchangeable.

I don't know if you can find a carb to fit it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Man I love when someone corrects me...LOL

I am not as proficient on Civilian engines so if you say it is the 4.0 inline 6 it must be...Thanks...LOL

I only wored on a handful of these Jeeps back in the early 1980's when Compac was backed up and sent vehicles down to our motorpool for servicing.

I mainly worked on M151's, CV's and Dueces 5 tons ect, and then later the M998 and Other Hmmwv's.

So all the Tech garb can get a little hairy for me...LOL

I have a Holley 2 barrel carb I was going to do some mods on to make it work on this engine.

The distributer with points was not hard to find, but a carb was looking a little harder to find, then I rmebered I had the Holley Carb in my shop attic.

I will give it a go and see where I land when I get the engine broken down this week.

Thanks for the correction on the engine, it will make working on the engine easier using the proper Tech manuals ...LOL

Bleddyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Have you considered using the stock XJ (Cherokee) EFI computer, wiring and fuel system in the MUTT?

They're all there in the donor XJ.....To me that makes much more sense than trying to retrofit a carb on an engine than never had one out of the factory.

In any case, Good Luck!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

I did consider the computer!!!

I was mistaken on the engine it is a 4.0 not a 258.

I am not as proficient on these enginesas I worked mostly on Military engines like the Hurricane and L and F -head 134.

So a mistake of Identity of the engine was a given for me....LOL

But I discovered in the TechManual real fast it was not a 258, like you said the fuel injection was a dead giveawy kid...LOL

So thanks for pointing that out to me I am glad someone had the brains to put me in line...LOL

Yes I had considered it but then just could not get myself to go ahead with it...LOL

I have a sweet two barrell Holley Carb I want to place on this engine and also a distributer with points that will work just fine.

Call me a old fart to love CARBS...LOL

I also wanted the carb so I could run the deep water fording kit I have, as Desert Racing and trail Racing is for compitition, Mudding and river crossing is my very first love of course...LOL

This is a great web page as I am getting replies at last, I am a Ford man but I had to choose a engine thatwould fit and work in this rig...LOL

If I could squeeze a 302 Mustang engine in this pig I would!

Thanks for the replies guys, Bleddyn and Nate
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

4.0 conversion will work.

I just want simple as possible, and I found a 258 yesterday in Amarillo in a 1983 AMC Eagle.

Everything was nearly Identical and the carb ect was just right for what I want to do.

Anyway, the Eagle was also a 4x4 and I am going back for the drive shafts next week.

I noticed that the legth was almost on the money for what I am trying to build.

I am not afraid of the computer I just hate fuel injection and wanted to remove it from the system and go as simple as possible.

Yes points can fail, and yes the fuel injection is a better system no debate on either issue.

Yes I could even place the fording kit onto the current set up, but I want to convert this engine anyway even if it seems to be a step backwards.

I have some engine rebuild items and Ideas that will make the difference in the end.

I put out a small fortune on Edelbrock Racing Parts and I am going to use every single one of them...LOL

When I am done this engine will be insane, with apt power.

I don't care what the other Racing guys use, Nate and i want to be different from anyone out their, with our Rig and how it runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode