Locking Hubs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Fickle

Locking Hubs

I own a 1993 Ford F-150 4x4 XL with the 4.9L straight six. I'm having some problems with the manual locking hubs, I've had both resealed once already and they are going to need it again. What I would like to know is why this is happening, and whether or not replacing the hubs to an aftermarket part would be better. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. <font color="black"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 09:21 PM

Re: Locking Hubs

What are you resealing? The only seal to them is a rubber o-ring. Are you slinging greal or what is causing you to notice a problem?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Fickle

What's causing me to notice the problem is all the grease that has been thrown onto my rims. I've had both hubs regreased and resealed and a new cap put on one of them. When I was driving in 4x4, turning corners slow and occasionally going slow there would be some clunking and other noise, I had it looked at and they said that the U Joints, ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rod ends needed to be replaced. I figured the U Joints were the basis of the noise problem as they fell a part when I had some clutch work done (master cylinder and slave cylinder, expensive). I'd also like to know what I can do to make the oil plug quit leaking, i've tried silicone gasket, but that doesn't seem to work. Again any input would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Bluebeast

i think that i can help u with the oil plug leak. on my 351W i have a small plastic washer that fits on it and is compressed against the oil pan when i tighten it down after changing oil. just a thought might help and oh yea it doesnt melt and stick to the pan as some may think.

JP
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 06:39 PM
Fickle

Thanks for the tip JP, where did you get the small plastic washer. I was talking with a guy at work today and he said the reason it leaks is because the plug is stripped from being tightened too much and a new plug would fix it. He also said the reason my hubs are throwing grease is because when they had resealed them before they may have accidently touched the splines of the axles to the seal which would eventually cause it to leak. He said that even the slightest touch would screw it up. I'd like to know if he knows what he's talking about or is it just a bunch of horse puckey. Again, any input would be greatly appreciated.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 09:14 PM

Well, you don't want to overtighten the plug, but the later models came from the factory with a plastic ring on the plug. Get a new one that hopefully will have this plastic ring.

I have no idea what this guy is talking about. It sounds to me like you need to have a lot of work done on this rig. If you have u joints falling apart, and folks have stated you need new front end steerig components, and ball joints, as may as well let someone redo your hubs properly. When you pull the hub dials, how much grease is in there? You really should not see much of any grease. The grease should be lightly applied to the gear contact areas, but is mainly for the hub internals, where the bearings reside.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Fickle

Thanks for the tip man, I have noticed that part of the plastic washer on the cap seems to be a bit more worn than the rest of it, so thats likely the problem. The U joints have been replaced, and I don't think that there is anything wrong with the tie rod ends, cause i don't have any trouble steering, i guess the wheel bearings should be done though, the truck is 10 years old and they've probably never been touched. This is the second year i've had it and i've already sunk over 2 grand into it. I had no problems with it the first year except keeping the rubber on the tires. What I would like to do is tear the whole truck a part and rebuild it, unfortuneatly i need it to go places, walkin sucks. Thanks for the input. anymore suggestions would be appreciated
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 10:55 PM

Well, look at it this way, it is 10 years young, and the former owner likely did not take great care of it. Just because you can steer does not mean you tie rods aren't worn. But in any case, spending a bit of money, and doing the work yourself can go a long way versus a $450 month car payment debt for the next 5 to 6 years !!! [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 02:24 PM
Fickle

I purchased the truck from my grandfather who had bought it as a work truck so he didn't ruin their good truck running up and down gravel roads, he did maintatin it. I'd like to do a lot of the work myself to save on cash and gain in experience. I've read in the book for the truck, and the hubs don't look that hard to remove, and i'm sure once i get them off the wheel bearings shouldn't be hard either. Does anybody know anything about doing the hubs and wheel bearings, any tips that may save time and aggravation would be great, and are there any special tools I need besides a case of beer? I really appreciate all the feed back i'm getting, its really helping out. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:35 PM
Mud in my Veins

Click my signature and look in the Brakes &amp; Hubs album - there's plenty of info there.

The axle splines can't touch the seal for the wheel bearings, so the guy's full of $#!T on that. The axle has its own seal, which is much smaller and can't throw grease onto the rims because it doesn't spin.

You can clear up some of the leaking problem by packing the bearing area FULL of grease, but you'll see a pic of that in the photos. Just don't pack the locking hub or it won't move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode