Topless! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Topless!

Woohoo! Looks even cooler that i thought it would [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, me, my bro and a buddy matt went to the big swap meet and scored a set of 3/4 Ton chebby axles for his truck today, in beautiful shape, for only $250!

LOL, we're starting to build a collection of spare axles now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1193714-axle-pile.jpg (94.8 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 03:45 PM

Re: Topless!

Good score on the axles. I'm broke. I spent all my money to get out to Indy and back. I might go tomorrow anyway and see what the guys leave behind.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Mud in my Veins

QUICK, hide those axles... Zach is coming and he's got his torch fired up! [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

very sweet, i'm still wanting a 14FF but not sure if that or the 435 swap will take priority... some have reported finding them for $50 so if I find one that cheap, the answer is simple.

i noticed when i had my top off that my tires looked way bigger than usual, especially the rears... are you noticing that at all? [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Lol, id trade a couple for that 87-91 D60 he's got though! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
The funny thing is that all of those axles pretty much have a home already under a truck, except for the D44/8.8. Those i want to get rid of!

Yeah, i thought the truck looked bigger somehow, with the top off. It looked like i had 36's or something, i guess because there was less body above the tires to compare their size too.
Also, the rear definitely went up an inch or so, 'cause the truck appears to have the 'factory rake' again. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
It is very cool driving around without the top on!
I definitely need to get some sort of cage though, so i can safely run a soft top next spring. Dont want to twist the body in half. (Or worse!)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 03:45 PM

Looks great Rept.

By the way how are the MTR's turning out? I just went out and priced new tires the other day. Here in peoria the Dealer wants $190 for the AT's and $210 for the MT's.

But I know someoen back in my home town that said he can get me the Wrangler AT's for $550, and the MT's for $700 for all four mounted balanced and out the door. This is for 285/75R16. As far as I know that's as big as I can go on the stock rims without lifting isn't it?

I really like the MT's but I do drive my truck on long trips a lot, so I am a little worried about the gas mileage hit switching to them. When I switched to the old style MT's I dropped about 2mpg in my old Bronco. Did the switch effect you much?

Let me know what you think. I've gotta get new tires before this winter or else I'm gonna be in a lot of trouble. I don't think 3/16" tread on my good old Firestone AT's are gonna cut it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

MTR's are doin pretty good, but they seem to suffer from the typical 'short life syndrom' that most M/T's have. I dont think ill get 40k out of them.
That seems like alot of cash for a MTR, unless thats including mounting and balancing. i can get them around here for about 165/tire, and thats a 35" tire, too. But at that price i need to get them mounted/balancd myself. Of course, my bro works in a garage, so i can get that done for free.[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I dont recall the MTR's affecting gas mileage much (i had 33" bias ply tires before), if at all. The susp. lift was really what killed me.

im my opinion, for the "daily driver/weekend warrior" truck, they are an awesome tire to run.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:53 PM

nah, i prefer my stock pile of axles
2 rockwells
4 zuks
2 toys
1.5 8.8's
2.5 D44 fronts
3 35 spline front D60's
1 30 spline rear 60
2 10.25's
.25 TTB
1 9 inch
and some other ones i am probably forgetting right now. i have them stacked in 3 seperate piles!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, well, not all of us are cool enough to get axles for the prices you do [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Over here, anything 1ton sells for more cash than you probably paid for half of those axles combined [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 07:15 PM
beerstash

Beerstalker- have you looked/priced the new Firestone M/T's. They are pretty similar to the MTR's.

Burned- Have you made anymore progress on the airbag setup? I also have to ask, ".25 TTB?"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 08:19 PM

ah, the bags are on hold at the moment. trying to think about if i want to do coilovers or airbags.
doesnt matter to me, the truck can sit for a year for all i care......

as for .25TTB 2 radius arms, and two torched off beams.

my axle collection that i keep around the shop. all these plus 2 toys off to the side, plus the other rockwell.

all the others are laying in 2 different buildings that are out of the way and just for storage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode