My Luck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

My Luck

Sorry guys, but i need to vent

I went to the Warren County Fair to watch a couple buddies compete in the Mud Bog races. Due to lack of funds, (didnt know the fair was today) I opted not to run in it. Seems it was a wise choice! Two guys i know, kev (the other one, w/ the green samurai) and Kyle (silver TJ) were running in it.
To make a very long story short(er) i just got home (2:40am)
The Samurai screwed up his clutch, and we couldnt get it in gear, so i flat-towed it back. Well, i tried to. After we stopped at the carwash to rinse out the TJ's radiator, my detroit started ratcheting extremely loud when there was no load on it. Loud enough that they could here it in the TJ, which was following behind the zuk. Now it clanks like a mofo when im in reverse, or when theres no load on it (ie, coasting). Not knowing what was wrong, i opted to get towed back, rather than spend an hour or two flat towing a samurai with a whacked-out detroit. Id wouldve really sucked if i blew the rear somewhere on the highway, especially since its only about 18 months old!
So now i have to pull the axle, swap in my spare 8.8 (with 3.54s, yay!), and swap over all the brake parts so i can go to work monday, and so i can drop off the axle to get the detroit inspected. Yay! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Old Hand

Re: My Luck

Should have just competed. At least you could have had more fun breaking your own stuff. Suxs either way. Why dont you swap that spare Dana 70 in your truck?????? Oh yeah 10 lug. Just drill 5 more holes in your rims.

Let me know how things turn out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 11:34 AM

Sorry to hear that Rep'T.

Since you're going to pull the whole axle, you gonna at least open the diff cover and take a looky at the fluid, internals? I know you won't really be able to tell much of anything inside the detroit, but maybe its' not the detroit causing this....ring gear bolts worked loose, pinion problem, carrier bolts came loose. Any of these things causing misalignment will cause probs with the detroit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

I took it for a spin this morning before i pulled it apart, and it felt like it was engaging/disengaging.

So, i pulled the cover off, and everything looks good. Everything is tight, theres no burnt oil, no shavings, no nicks or chips in the gears....everything looks fine! Its difficult to test for engagement/disengagement by yourself, but it definitely is locking up, and when i drove it before, it was definitely unlocking in turns, so i guess its still working fine [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Unfortunately, i cant swap the other rear into the truck today, so im gonna have to drive on this one to/from wor tomorrow, and then head on over to Kodiak and get them to crack it open and see whats goin on.

My guess is i screwed up one of the clutches (or maybe broke one of the springs), but i cant say for sure.

Oh and Steve, that rear is 8lug, not 10lug, but after doing some research on it......it isnt a Dana70....its a Dana61! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 09:42 AM

Sorry to hear about the diff Rep. Did it still make noise when you were being towed? If not maybe you could just take the rear driveline off and run it in 4Hi untill you can have the rear diff checked. I don't think it would pose a problem if the rear was dissengaged.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I was about 90miles away from home, and i didnt want to risk busting something, so i had it towed on a flatbed.
Yesterday in the afternoon, with the rear axle jacked up, i could not reproduce the sound no matter what i did.
I drove it to work today, and it was fine. Coming home, it did it again.

I actually just got back from dropping off the truck....Kodiak (the shop who installed it) said theyll pull it apart and check everything out in the morning.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Hmm...the mystery delves deeper!

They couldnt find anything wrong with the detroit. I just went crusisin with Wes (the guy who originally installed it) and it didnt make a sound! Ive actually been cruisin around locally for the past hour or so without a problem! It did clack once on me while slowing down (ie, coasting), but of course Wes wasnt with me, and i couldnt get it to do it again.
So....im kinda thinking the problem isnt the axle at all. It seems odd that a problem like this would fix itself, but now we're pretty sure that the problem isnt the detroit, so i gotta ask......how do ya know when your t-case chain is stretched beyond the maximum deflection spec? Ive never had one apart before, but it cant be too hard to change the chain.

I went out on some loose dirt today and put it in 4w Hi and Lo to see if the t-case would make any funny sounds, but it didnt. It has been becoming gradually (slighlty) harder to get it in and out of 4lo when away on 'wheelin trips, though, but it wasnt enough for me to really consider a problem until i started typing this. [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] What kind of sounds does an over-stretched t-case chain make?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 05:02 PM

When the chain in my dodge t-case stretched it made sqeaking and rattling noises while off the gas, no loud bangs but it is a np 203.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 10:29 PM

My guess is the chain is not your issue. You mentioned first having this rear end noise/commotion while towing. So you were in 2wD? If so,the chain should not be an issue.

Maybe you should describe your original problem a bit more. Now you're talking about trying to get the detroit to make a clank...welll....mine at times is silent as a ghost, and then, all of a sudden, it clanks/cracks and I am expecting my c-clip axle/wheel to come right out from under the vehicle. But, nothing ever happens. I have pulled the cover several times since install, checked all bolts, checked everything, absolutely nothing wrong.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Well, it no longer makes this sound, which is what confuses me. Im merely trying to get in all opinions on anything driveline related to see if something matches up.

Ok, this is what it used to do:
When coasting, or in reverse there would be a loud audible 'clacking' sound coming from the rear of the truck. Loud enough to be heard inside a jeep behind the Samurai i was towing. Now, this sound first occured when i was flat-towing, but it also happened afterwards when i was not towing. It does not sound like the typical detroit 'ratcheting', but rather a, well, loud 'clacking'. I dont know how else to describe it. It varies with speed, but only seemed to occur under 30 or so mph, and could be heard idling (meaning around 5mph) in reverse or in 1st.
I was unsure if it was safe to drive on, and had it flat-towed the 80miles home (thank god for AAA), and in the following afternoon removed the coverplate. I found nothing wrong with the fluid, ring gear, or pinion at all. All teeth were in great shape, no chips, cracks, burns or oddwear makers of any kind. The Center-pin was installed properly, and the ring-gear bolts are all in tight. The fluid wasnt very old at all, maybe two months old, and as such still looked like new fluid. 85w140, with the GL5 additive. Since the fluid was in great shape, i put it back in and sealed it up. The following day (monday) i drove to work fine, but coming home it started clacking again. I dropped it off at the shop that installed the gears/locker, and they said theyd take a look at it. Fast-forward to today, when i went out for a test drive with the guy who originally installed the gears/locker, and we could not get the truck to reproduce the sound. So naturally he didnt 'fix' anything cause he couldnt find anything wrong to fix. After i left the shop, i went out driving around for about an hour, and even stopped off at a local sand pit to try out the truck in 4wd Hi & Low to see if it would make any sounds, and it did not.

Which kinda leaves me stumped, cause i have no idea why it started making these noises, and i also have no idea why it stopped [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode