"Real World" oil pressure - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

\"Real World\" oil pressure

I finally had the time to install my oil pressure gauge yesterday. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Yes, my dash gauge is a million miles off! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

But now that i have actual #s to go by, i was wondering if anyone could tell me if theyre good numbers, or if they are signs of an impending problem with the engine.

Basically, i get 50psi when revving or idling. (at start-up)
Once the engine is up to temp, it will idle at 25psi. The pressure will increase with RPM until i break 2k, where it holds a constant 50psi.

extra info:
The oil in the engine is (new) Castrol 10w40 (has maybe 10 miles on it), and the filter (also new) is a Napa Gold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 01:54 PM

Re: \"Real World\" oil pressure

That's fine Kev, general rule is 10 psi for every 1000 RPM.
Did you try changing the sending unit first? My 89 started acting up out of the blue. Though I was gonna puke an engine. I changed the sender when I did the timing chain and it's back to normal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Thats good news to my ears! I had a feeling it was ok, but i needed to make sure. And i knew someone here would have an answer for me! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (Thanks Al!)

I replaced the sending unit a couple months ago, and the same problem came back right around when my timing cover gasket started leaking two weeks ago, which is when i ordered for the Autometer gauge.

I was digging through Mitchell earlier and found a TSB for ~88 trucks where the sending unit and resistor wire didnt work properly, and the gauge would read erratically, like mine was doing. They apparently issued a different sending unit and 20ohm resistor wire to correct it. Shame i didnt think to look this up earlier, i wouldnt have stressed as much over it!

But anyway, right now i did some plumbing, and have both senders (OEM and Autometer's) in. I eventually want to figure out a way to fool the dash gauge so that it wont trip a CEL like it has been doing on and off today/yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 04:48 PM
Shilo

Dude just ground the stock wire that went to the stock sending unit. This tells the ECM you've got oil pressure and eliminates the CEL. And your numbers are great! I get 19-20 lbs at hot idle with less than 50,000 on my motor.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Ok, cool...i wasnt sure if i could ground it or not....i thought that maybe it would freak out if i did. I guess not!
Now if it ever stops raining ill have to go do that! Thanks Shilo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode