87 F150 4X4 XL Tire & Suspension Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

87 F150 4X4 XL Tire & Suspension Questions

Wondering if I need to lift the truck to go to 33" tires and if I need a gear change? Currently I have 31 X 10.5 BFG TA's and want to get a bit more clearance for off-road without spending a ton of money. From what I can tell, the factory specs are P235/75R X15.

Also, are my current tires a size up from factory spec? Truck seems slow to get up to speed, especially on inclines and while towing - it's got the 3.55 rear axle.

Went to an off-road shop and here is what they recommend:

Gears Front & Rear - $1200, Auburn limited - $469 - that includes labor.
Lift (Pro-Comp) 4" - $980, new rear springs - $198 + shipping. Labor and alignment - $450 + $70. Also they said may need axel pivot bushing and radius arm bushing (truck has 178,000 mi) - no quote until they see if needed.

Wheels - $120 each (polished aluminum middle of the road quality), and finally tires, $460 for a set of 4 Pro-Comp AT, I would rather have BFG AT's, but that would be special order. So total is over $4300 for two inches? That's like double what the truck is worth, even though I plan to replace the engine someday and the rest of the truck is in primo shape.

Is this nuts or what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 87 F150 4X4 XL Tire & Suspension Questions

I don't know anybody on the face of the earth that has swapped gears to run 33" tires on a full size truck, and I didn't even bother when going to 35's. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Also, you don't need any lift to run 33" tires, they will fit stock with the possible exception of slight bumper shimming using washers. Off road shops like to make money, that is why they tend to recommend things that you 'need'. Unless you really want new wheels, you can use the ones you have to mount the 33's on. So basically all you need to buy is tires, so that shaves about $3800 off your estimate [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, be sure to ask this over on <a href=http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadfordbroncolate> the Bronco forum</a> as most of those guys don't check this one.

Oh, and don't buy those ProComp tires either, they support the 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers nazis and I hear they aren't that great anyway... BFG, Goodyear, or Cooper is the way to go [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Muddy, Thanks for the reality check - Those guys seemed way off, especially when I told them I would prefer the BFGs and they wanted to sell me the Pro-Comps. What I am concerned about is the effect the larger tires will have on towing- I occasionally tow a one ton boat/trailer - not heavy, but in the Arizona Mountains, a real drag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Veteran

If you have a 5.0 in there with the 3.55s, you will definitely feel a big loss up hills with 33s. I noticed a loss just upgrading from 31" TO 32"s a few months ago, now my heavy bronco cant hold its speed in OD even with the cruise control on going up grades, and my 5.0 appears to run and accelerate very healthy for a close to stock motor.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 06:58 PM

Yes swap gears, 31's you already feel sluggish. Before I swapped to 4.10's, back when I had 33's/3.55's and was living in Denver, with a 351 it was bad. You need to swap gears if you want to do this right.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This puppy struggles on some of the mountain highways in Arizona - I'm thinking a re-gearing is top of list. But if I spend to re-gear, why not bite the bullet and get a lift kit and 35's? You all know how that goes.

For now, it may just have to be 33's and re-gearing.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 08:21 AM

Cut it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode