The Trail Ride of Carnage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

The Trail Ride of Carnage

Ok, so where to start?
I was supposed to be going for a weekend ride at Paragon with 8 or so other broncos. So i pack up everything i need, and off we go! So, about a half hour into the ride, i smell something odd......antifreeze! I quickly pull off to the shoulder and see this:

a blown water pump! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Of course, its now 7pm, so all the auto stores around me just closed. So i call AAA to get a tow, and wait. And wait. And wait. 3 hours later, i get a tow to my buddies house, which is about 10min from where i broke down. The next morning we pulled the old pump, which was without a doubt shot, and got a new one put in. But of course, with a three hour ride ahead of me, there was no chance of meeting up with the other broncos to go wheelin today. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Fast forward to sunday morning.
I arrived at Paragon sunday morning to find no trucks i recognize, but that didnt last for long. Shortly after, a couple trucks from Kodiak Customs (my local 4x4 shop) and the Rock Dawgs start pulling in. 8 total, actually. Then i notice that theres a lone bronco parked elsewhere in the lot. So i wander over to talk to him, and sure enough, hes one of the guys i was supposed to ride with. He then informed me that out of all of em, only 2 broncos were left in wheeling condition after saturday [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Apparently, they blew 3 altenators, 1 gas tank, and 1 complete set of steering arms! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I told the remaing two to go riding with me and the rest of the pack, but they split off on their own after a trail or two, when it was apparent that theyd never be able to follow us. Oh well, so much for a bronco ride [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So off we went! Got to the first hill climb, and once again, i get the first trail carnage of the day!
I skipped my tire off a sharp rock, and did this:

The tire is shot, and after beating on the rim today, and trying to return it to the proper shape, im still not sure if itll be safe to ride on. But the tire is still seated on the rim! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

So after a 'quick' tire change, off i go back up the hill. The remaining trucks followed me up, and we continued on.
We rode with a couple pretty sweet trucks....Mybon, with his 85 Toy on 37" Claws, and Mitch, in his monstrous '02 2500 with 38" PJ Dirt Grips

We ran Lower Whompum after that, and did ok, till Mybon tried to go the hard way, and got hung on a tree

After he got out and off the trail, Candi came through in her monstrous jeep (electrac rear, locked front, 37" boggers) and conquered with little to no effort on her part.
Naturally, kev (not me, the other one) had back up all his talk, and follwed suit, but needed a helping hand (or six) to get up and outta the trail [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

From there on in, we got to our first water crossing, where Brandy almost got stuck (going out the hard way), which left Rebel in the river for a minute or two taking on water [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

He then realized Rebel was back there, and pulled aside to he could get through, and then tried to go another way, only to high center on a tree stump, and getting strapped up and off by Rebel. Shortly after there was a deep mud crossing, and rebel found himself at the other end of the strap!

Next up was the aptly named Inner Spare Tire Crossing. Brandy, Kev and Kyle crossed with no problem...

...but Mitch had a little problem.

Seems that fancy drop xmember for his torsion bars hangs a little too low, and he caught it on the stump right at the drop off into the river. After snatching him up off it off it twice, he got the right line, and shot into the river, but at the cost of his d.s. rocker panel and Kodiak Step.
on his way up the other side however, we had a problem.

He blew a bead! So now Mybon, beign the only one with a winch, went down into the river, and up in a different spot to winch him up onto level ground.

Once he was up, me and Candi crossed over, and then we got to see the full extent of the carnage:

Tire is ok, but thats one $$$$ rim!

it was shortly after this that someone (I believe Rebel) noticed that something was hanging off Candi's rear. Turns out it was the actuator for her electrac!

After quick thinking by Brandy, they were able to close up the hole left by the broken actuator bracket, but she was left with a spooled rear for the rest of the day (and the drive home!)

We ran two more trails, until our next stuck, again Brandy. He got caught pretty good

But this pic really shows just how bad he got himself stuck

....yep, thats half a driveshaft in there! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Rebel pulled him back off the rock, and after removing what was left of his d.s., we continued on to the end of the trail, with him in 2wd. It was pretty much decided that it was time to get out of the park before someone else broke something! Brian had issues with his tcase, and had to shift it into 2wd from under the truck. Later that day, on the way home, his trans started acting up (no OD) and is now in the shop awaiting repairs.

So that means that we managed to.....

blow a water pump on the way up
my cb was busted when i got there
blew a tire
thrashed two rims
dented fender/broken flare on the 'Toy
broken Kodiak step/dented rocker&door on the chevy
broke an electrac actuator
broke a driveshaft
smashed up an axle
almost blew a trans
and damaged shift linkages on a tcase

Yeah, id say thats enough carnage for one day [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

EDIT: bryan just found out his shifting problem wasnt a trans problem, but rather he caught a piece of wood in between his skid plate and trans which bent some linkages up. So he's back on the road already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: The Trail Ride of Carnage

Oh yeah, my full list of pics can be seen here with more pics from kyle, the 'other' kev, brandy and candi on the way [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 05:50 PM
Pooh-Bah

Awesome shots, <font color="blue">Reptillikus</font color>.
Remind me to think twice, if I'm going to be wheeling in your area! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

You able to get a "road hazard" adjustment or anything on the MT/R?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Well, the tires came from a 4x4 shop, and it has a cut right through the sidewall, so they might not cover it. I have a new tire arriving wednesday, so when it comes in, ill find out if theres some sort of price reduction or not.

And just whats so bad about wheelin over here, anyway? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1137670-cut.jpg (28.5 KB, 32 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 08:19 PM

Wow great pics and captions to boot!! Maybe you should be working for a magazine Rep-t. Looks like you had a tough but rewarding day, so whats your opinion on the MTR sidewalls, would any tire have been sliced or do think it could be a problem. I played with one at a local store and they seemed pretty stout, just wanted your thoughts.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Lol, i dont know of too many magazines interested in the east coast 'wheelin scene [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But seriously, i think they are very strong sidewalls, and that was the first time i ever managed to even scratch a sidewall.
The way it was cut, it hit the edge of the tire, dragged down the sidewall, and once it got past the sidewall-treading, it cut through the tire, and then the whole weight of the truck fell on the rim, bending it in. Youll notice the cut starts right after the treading, and in fact, there wasnt even a scratch in the 'tread', meaning that had the tire not slid all the way down the edge of the rock, i never would have been able to cut it.
So, yes, i do think that the MTR sidewall is very strong, and i imagine i would have sliced open a tire on it, regardless of what brand tire it actually was.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Pooh-Bah

And just whats so bad about wheelin over here, anyway?
I'm just playin' with ya. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
In reference to all the "carnage" you experienced. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 02:37 AM

Looks like you all had fun rept sorry to here about the water pump but looks like you got out of there with no real trail damage (tires dont count as trail damage). seems thoe built jeeps broke pretty good though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, i hear ya Doug, that trip was hell on 99% of all the vehicles i came in contact with for the entire weekend. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Tony, i cant really blame the heeps for breakin stuff, as Brandy broke his d.s on a rock no one else would climb, and candi, well, we're not really sure where she busted that actuator off [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 08:10 PM

Very nice pics RepT!!!

Are you going to post some of yours? I mostly saw jeeps!

Love the scenery, I have done a little wheeling back east. It's not that the trails aren't challenging, as you show, it's that there aren't hardly any legal places to go anymore!!!!

Didn't you read your sidewall...it says Duarawall Puncture resistance, not slice resistance! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Candi...she will probably have trouble with that actuator in the future...her driveline is angled way up for proper angle to the Tcase, unfortunately, if one end goes up, the other must rotate down. She needs a regular detroit, or ARB.

Now you, your waterpump, No sign at all of giving up the ghost? Usually they begin to weep before they full out start balling like yours did. You know what I mean by weeping, right? Were there any unusual noises leading up to that? I ask because I think my water pump bearings are beginning to get noisy, but no weep yet.

Did you have to mess with the power steering pump bracket to get the water pump off?

What brand pump did you buy?

Geez, i'm pesky eh? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Edit: Oh, and one last Q...what is your opinion on the PJ tires on the Chebby? those were larger than most of the others, but you must have observed some of their characteristics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode