Electrical safety - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Electrical safety

Some may pay more attention to this than others, wiring, fuses, etc. I for one am probably a bit lazy on the electrical side of things. I do however, NEVER, make the mistake of running without proper fusing, after having an old Firebird almost go up in flames because I took out a fuse and used aluminum foil to keep the power going. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Electrical fires inside the dash are not a pretty sight or smell, stupid me. Anyway, that was years ago.

Many have probably seen these already, but I love'em:

This is a Buss blade type (ATC) fuse holder, good for up to 30A. What's nice about these is they are cheap, about $2, the are made of a rubbery plastic, and have a dual lip design, so with a little dielectric grease, should be waterproof. I have upgraded any of my old twist together, glass fuses under the hood for these, mainly the ARB compressor, and the Hella lighting. The old glass type fuse holders tend to get gunk in them, corrode, and cause problems. These are also the blade fuse used by ford for the engine and cab fuse boxes, so less different types of fuses to carry around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Electrical safety

damn straight, i carry a couple of those in my toolbox along with my relays with harnesses... it'll probably be forever before i use them but they are too nice and cheap to not have a couple anyway [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Yea, these things are cool. As cheap as they are, this is one good upgrade!

I should have mentioned, when installing these in place of other fuse holders, one should make sure the Amps can be handled, and that the connections are soldered, then heat shrink wrapped, or electrical taped real good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 10:13 PM

i put another fuse block in my glove box and ran a #8 wire to the battery . i run my lights(offroad),cb,radio off it and have space for 3 more .
i hate it when people stick the end of the wire in the fuse block and up the fuse size. i had a 78 nova that someone did that to and one day smoke comes pouring out from under the dash
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

I hope that #8 wire goes to a fuse, fusible link, or breaker JUST BEFORE it hits the battery... [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Ever see how much heat an 1/8"-thick heating element can put off? [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

I put the '95 engine compartment fuse block (tied in with the OE fusible links at the starter relay) in mine and filled ALL the positions with fuse terminals, then did the same to the dash fuse block so I can always add fused circuits if I need to. It keeps the rat-nest factor down a little, and makes FINDING the burnt fuse easy. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] You can find small fuse blocks in the junkyard that would be handy to keep extra circuits organized. Some also have relay sockets. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 08:42 PM

yes i came off the battery then went to the fusable link .
it sure does keep the rats nest down my next project is to take a ground bar from work and take all the grounds to it i looked in the dash and have screws/twisted wires all in it
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 04:10 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I took out a fuse and used aluminum foil to keep the power going.

[/ QUOTE ]

What...did you think you were Macgyver or something [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode