TOWING CAPACITY ???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TOWING CAPACITY ????

I have sort of a technical question I thought somebody on here might know the answer to. I have a 1988 Ford F150 4X4 Longbed P/U. It has the big straight 6, 5spd, manual trans, and 3:08 gears in the front and rear. To my amazement the towing capacity is a wimpy 3800 pounds , according to the manual. I have changed the rear leaf springs, and went from the stock 1800lb spring to a 2900 lb. sprin. I was told this was the same spring used on 1 ton trucks. I am now changing the gears to a 3:73 ratio. Can anybody tell me what the new approximate towing capacity might be. I would appreciate it .
Thanks
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 11:47 AM

Re: TOWING CAPACITY ????

Well, I think you might still be limited by your manual. But I would say if that holds up, your towing capacity is probably in the 5000lb range. You have a heavy duty radiator?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Mud in my Veins

The real limit is the brakes. Your rated towing capacity will never be higher than the highest F-150, but I regularly tow twice the Bronco rating - sometimes as much as 3x, but VERY carefully. No matter what you do, don't just start towing heavy loads. Work your way up slowly so you become familiar with how the truck handles the loads under all driving conditions and all load arrangements. A 16' trailer will do TOTALLY different things with 3000lb loaded near the tonge, over the axles, or at the rear, and you need to learn what to expect with only 500lb before you move up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply. I do have a extra capacity radiator and over heating has never been a problem. The trailer I am towing is an RV trailer and it has electric brakes. There is a brake box in the truck so when I apply the brakes in the truck they are also applied in the trailer. I am putting the 3:73 gears in on Mon. and it sounds like y'all feel it will help my problem alot. Right now it has the 3:08 gears in it and getting the trailer moving is like taking off in second or third gear. I have always been terified of getting stuck at a red light or stop sign on any type of hill as I would never be able to get it moving without putting it into 4 wheel low. The other modification I put in the truck was an 11 inch borg warner clutch. The truck cam stock with a 10 inch and when it went out I just put in a cheap one from Advance Auto, and it was piece of junk. I almost melted it the first time I drove the trailer home. The bigger Borg Warner made a lot of difference. It sounds like everyone thinks these new gears will help my problem a lot. We will be able to tell this next weekend as I plan on taking the trailer on a trip. I want y'all to know how much I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I have asked questions before and nobody ever responded. Again thanks, and have a great weekend.
Kevin
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have the 6 cyl. in your bronco? What type of trans. and gear ratio do you have and what is your towing capacity according to Ford? I was told my trailer was made for 1/2 ton trucks and that the capacities that they put in the manual are extra low to cover their butts legally. So you rekon I should be OK at 5500 with the changes I have made? I always take it very slow and easy when I am towing. I am not looking for a spead demon, but I don't want to put my family in an unsafe condition eathier. again thanks for your reply, I reall do appreciate it.
God Bless
Kevin
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: My Bronco

You can see my truck in my signature link, and most of the specs are in my profile. I have a '95 4.9L & a '78 NP-435 in it, and I'm about to put the original 3.08 ratio back in. I don't know the factory GCWR, but I know I've gone WAAAAAY over it plenty of times. These high-ratio gears are stronger (physically) than the high-numbered ones, and this transmission is used in 2 1/2-ton trucks, so I know I'm not gonna break anything.

If you're a careful & conscientious driver (not the same as SLOW), you shouldn't have any trouble with a 5500 lb trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode