RV Towing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

RV Towing

I have a problem and need some advice. I currently own a 1988 Ford F150 4X4 with a 300cu inch 6 cyl. 5spd. manual trans. WITH 3:08 Gears. I am pulling a 6000 pound RV trailer. When we bought the trailer they said it was made to be towed behind a 1/2 ton PU. However I have a lot of trouble getting this rig moving. I know the biggest problem are the 3:08 gears. But when being passed by a semi , the ride quickly turns into a white knuckle ride, even with all the latest sway control devices. I think it is the sheer weight of the F150 is not enough. I will be purchasing a new truck in about 4 years, but for now cash is tight. Now my problem, do I spend the 8 to 9 hundred dollars and change the ring & pinion gears to let's say 3:73, or do I sell the truck and add what I would spend for the gear change and buy something bigger. The problem is my truck is almost cherry, I know everything about it and buying somebody's lemon scares me. I am going to look at a truck tomorrow. It is a 1989 F350 4X4 with an automatic trans and the 351 V8. I don't know the gear ratio, but I would hope they are not 3:08's.I know the F350 would pull the load better, but how trust worthy is the 351 motor. I know my big 6 will last a long time and is a proven motor, I don't know much about the 351. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also what kind of gas mileage could I expect towing and not towing with the 351. Thanks ahead for your reply.
God Bless The USA!!!!
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Frankenstein

Re: RV Towing

I've got an 88 F-150 with a 300 and 3.08's. Gears are probably your biggest issue. Mine is a dog, especially since I put 31 10.50's on it. 3.73's would make a world of difference. You can get a good used gear set on e bay for pretty cheap, and save a lot over new gears. Is your handling problem a weight problem, or a wheelbase problem? Is it long bed or short bed? Mine is a short bed, and it just doesn't have the wheelbase to pull long/heavy loads. The 351 is a good engine, but it's gonna get pretty bad mileage. Look back in the posts, there have been a lot about what people are getting for mileage. Some guys will tell you 12, some claim more. So, look into it and just decide what's best for you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: RV Towing

Frank,
First, Thanks for the reply. What size and weight trailer are you pulling? I went to look at that F350 and the thing was a piece of junk. It was used as a farm truck and beat to pieces. I think I am just going to put the money into my F150, at least I know what I have that way. I am glad you think the 3:73 will help my problem. By the way my truck is a long bed, which I would think helps in pulling. I put one ton springs on the back last year and it helps pulling, but it is a really rough ride without being hooked up to the trailer. Again thanks for the reply. I think I will post a wanted post for the gears. I found the rear on Ebay but the front is harder to find. NEW THEY ARE 500 FOR THE REBUILD KIT AND ALL. Have a good one,
Kevin [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode