KEEP KILLING MY ALTINATER IN MUD 2002 F150 FX4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

KEEP KILLING MY ALTINATER IN MUD 2002 F150 FX4

WHAT CAN I DO TO SAVE IT?
IT NEVER HAPPENED IN MY 1999 F150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: KEEP KILLING MY ALTINATER IN MUD 2002 F150 FX4

First off, disable caps. Now, about the alternator, we need more info about how youre killing it. Is it shorting out from water getting into it? Is it overloading and thus burning out? I would think you're getting water into it, and thus short-circuiting the electronics, and would be prevented by either rigging up some kind of shroud to deflect the ater/mud or trying to waterproof the alternator. While you're at it, you may want to water-proof the entire ignition system.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry about the caps.....
any ideas on ways to water proofing the altinater or ideas on building a shroud???

any advice will certainly help thanks in advance

ericgb [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Again, not sure that this is the problem, definitely some more excperienced opinions to be had, but I would search online for any kits or even after-market alternators. As far as a shroud goes, analyze how the water gets into the alternator [look at any access holes in line of sight from fan spray, dripping from hood braces, et cetera]. From there you could probably just take some old mud flap or some other flexible but durable enough substance and bolt it to some of the brackets around the area. Must make sure it doesnt come into contact with any moving parts though, cause that would very very bad. hehe [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] . Another possibility is to ask some of the employees at four-by centers or part stores, someone is bound to have heard of this or have direct experience, and a hands-on explanation is always better than text. Good luck.

*Edit* - Also, you might more luck posting this in the 97-current Ford fullsize forum instead of the general 4x4.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Mud in my Veins

i've certainly ridden in my share of water and i've only killed one alt, but that was probably just regular worn-out parts since it was at 120k miles. it sounds like you're funneling a lot of water through there, so you either need to build some plastic shields that block the underside of the engine bay or build a little box around the alternator with some holes on the back to let air in. you will overheat it if it cant get enough air through there. are you sure it's mud killing it and not highpower lights or stereo? also make sure you're getting a good replacement, though my cheap AutoZone alt is still kicking after 3 years of (ab)use. if you want to spend some money, lifting your truck would help a lot as well [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Juggernaut87

his truck is the FX4, it comes from the factory lifted, there nice, they come with Rancho shocks and 17in wheels too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode