Towing Capacity - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Towing Capacity

As happens from time to time with people who use their truck to pull horse trailers, I am maxing out the towing limit of my 2002 F-250 that has the 5.4L engine.

From reading the weight and towing charts in the owners manual, the towing capacity appears to increase with the axle ratio, horsepower and whether a fifth wheel is used.

Is there any other difference in a truck with a greater towing capacity? (Other than axel ratio, horsepower and 5th wheel?) Are they built with increased strength in any parts?

Can i increase the towing capacity of my truck by changing the rear end and incerasing the horsepower? Once approach could be to add the super - charger that Ford is putting on the Harley F-150. I would also be towing a goose neck trailer. I think that it may be what the manual calls a 5th wheel.

I would like to be able to pull between 10,000 and 12,000.

Also, the chart appear to indicate that there is no difference in towing capacity for the F-250 and F-350. How can this be? What are the differences between these two models?

Please email me if you have any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks so much

-FacelessAngel-
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Towing Capacity

Most of the differences in towing capacity come from spring rates, and in some cases, stronger parts. The reason there isnt a difference in the towing limits of the F250s and 350s is they use pretty much the same parts, with slightly higher spring rates, swaybar rates, and a few other things, but the hard parts ducj as axles, horsepower, transmission, etc, are identical. The fact is that the 250 will pull as much as the 350, but youll be happier doing ti in the 350, and will do it better.

Your truck , with the 5.4, is never going to pull like a V10 or PowerStroke, supercharger or not, and there is not a lot you can do about it. Sure, you can regear, but that will kill your highway mileage, or you can add an exhaust, and a blower, and other hi-tech bolt ons, but the truth is that the 5.4 is not made to work like this, and while you may be able to tow 10,000 lbs, its going to be a slow, miserable trib until you trade that thing in for a PSD or Triton V10, which still sucks compared to the Powerstroke.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 01:57 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Towing Capacity

The brakes are probably the biggest limiting factor for GVWR & GCWR. Adding electric trailer brakes will make towing safer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode