Exped.5.4L not oiling on startup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Exped.5.4L not oiling on startup

I have a 2001 Expedition 4x4 with a 5.4 and 45,000 miles on it. My problem started with the onset
of cold weather, either coincidentally or not.
When it is first cranked up the oil guage stays at 0 and
the light comes on. It usually has to run for 1 to 3 minutes before it will come up off of 0. And even
then it usually doesn't stay up at first, driving for 30 seconds and falling out again, then coming right
back up.
This happens sometimes 5-10 times before it will come up for good and stay up.
I havechangedthe oil frequently and am using the recommended 5w20 oil, which is very thin, is it not?
The other day we had a 64- degree- day and my wife got in to drive home from work and it did it then
so now it's not just on cold mornings, but each time it's allowed to cool completely down before driving
again. The oil is clear as new and I don't see how there could be any blockage at the screen or filter.
As I said, it is only on initial startup, then you can drive it all day without it happening again, unless
you leave it for several hours. I don't want to ruin my motor, but I just don't know what to do.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 11:31 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Exped.5.4L not oiling on startup

what brand oil and filter? that does seem thin but if that's what it calls for......
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 09:25 AM
birddog1

Dont know about Expeditions but the Broncos and F150's of the 92-96 genre are notorious for having gauge issues like this. Apparently a bad/loose wire contact at the guage and a good thump on the dash usually does it for mine when I get a misreading like that (cold/damp weather specifically). Of course, if you think its the pump or a clog somewhere, versus the gauge, its a nobrainer to get that pressure checked asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 05:30 PM

Bring it back to the dealer. It's still under warranty, isn't it?
I don't care what it calls for. I run 10w-30 in my Expedition in the winter and 20w-50 in the summer. The one time I took it to one of those Jiffy Lube places (I didn't have time to do it myself), they put 5w-30 in it and charged me extra for it. I was so pissed. They said that's what it called for. Screw em' it runs fine on 20w-50. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Veteran

The lighter weight oil is highly recommended on the 4.6 and 5.4 cuz of all the tiny oil passages in the OHC heads. I have also heard owners complaining of the lifters clacking upon cold startups with heavier than 5W-30 oil.
Im not telling anyone what type of oil to use, only that i also used to think heavier is better, but since had been proven wrong .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode