OT: Crown Vic towing capacity, why not? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Lounge General discussions and Frequently Asked Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

OT: Crown Vic towing capacity, why not?

If I was to get a car, I think I'd get a Crown Vic as it's the most truck-like car I can think of, and I figure it'd have no problem pulling a Zuk trail toy [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] However, it's only rated at 2000lbs towing capacity, even though it sports a 4.6L V8 and 4 wheel disc brakes! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Why is it rated so little, while a similarly eqipped F150 is rated at over 8000 lbs? Is the 4spd auto tranny weak, or does this concern the braking system or stability? Anybody have an idea? BTW, the trunks on those cars are 20 cubic feet, WOW! I wonder how many speakers would fit in that abyss? [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 05:21 PM

Re: OT: Crown Vic towing capacity, why not?

Would there even be enough ground clearance to stick a class 3 hitch under there?
Actually, come to think of it, i dont think ive ever even seen a car with anything other than a class I hitch.
Maybe the rear sits too low (clearance issues) for it to be able to tow heavy loads? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:05 PM
Veteran

My guess would be the weakness of the unibody structure back there, a while back ago when i had my 79 F150, It crapped out about 1 mile from work, i had a co-worker with a 87 5.0 HO stang tow me the rest of the way with a rope through the holes in the frame, man it ripped the sheet metal up to hell [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 07:13 PM

you planning on using a trailer or flat towing?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I was thinking about using a trailer so i could have some tongue weight, then put some airbags under there since they still use a regular solid axle like trucks. Mania, they actually use a body on frame setup like trucks, so putting a nice hitch on there should be a realistic option. I guess flat towing would work too but I figure the extra weight on the rear axle might help, but maybe the axle cant take it? Anybody know what axle they use? I know they have a 2.73 ratio, but with small tires that should be adequate.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 09:05 AM

It may be that the higher gearing in the rear will put too much stress on the tranny. Engine and tranny can take it if you give it a break on the rearend. I would lok at a rear spring replacement/helper system as you indicated to help with tounge weight. If you were to flat tow the Zuk then a lower gear would be all that you needed as the suspension upgrade is needed only for the added tounge weight.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

yeah, that's what I was thinking, which should help the car anyway since that 4.6 appears to be a high-rev power engine from the specs i've seen. i dont know if i could ever drive a car again, but i couldnt argue with 25mpg on the highway [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] i just thought it would be funny to see a Crown Vic going down the highway with a jacked Zuk in tow [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

btw, what's a Watts linkage? it's something they added to the rear live axle to help cornering, but what exactly is it?

did a little research, they have the 8.8" rear and the ones with the Police package have 3.27 or 3.55 gears [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A lot of really Cheap-ass buy the older Ford Country squire thing Station wagons as tow rigs, Cheap as hell with 460's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

well the idea is to get really good mileage out of it when not towing, which I dont think I could do, even if the 460 could, cuz my foot would be buried watching smoke bellow out of the wheel wells [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] how long ago did they stop making 460-powered cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode