To build a Bronco or Jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
RMS

To build a Bronco or Jeep?

I am having a hard time deciding on a project. Early Bronco or Jeep. I need some feedback from guys that have already done this. Thanks for any info!

<font color=blue>RMS</font color=blue>
<font color=red>RUBB'Ns RACING!</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: To build a Bronco or Jeep?

Go with the bronco it is the best. Had bought and had nothing but trouble with the jeep the only thing about it that was good was the motor it had a 289 FORD the rest was jeep and broker most of the time trans about 5 times and the front and rearend were a night mare know have 2 broncos 66 and 68.Good luck with your choice. Bill I,m not prejudice on fords ha ha ha

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with the bronco it is the best. Had bought and had nothing but trouble with the jeep the only thing about it that was good was the motor it had a 289 FORD the rest was jeep and broken most of the time trans about 5 times and the front and rearend were a night mare know have 2 broncos 66 and 68.Good luck with your choice. Bill I,m not prejudice on fords ha ha ha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have owned both and I would personally go with the best deal that you can get on the vehicle you start your project with.There are pros and cons to each vehicle thats why look for the best basis for your off roader.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have owned both and I would personally go with the best deal that you can get on the vehicle you start your project with.There are pros and cons to each vehicle thats why look for the best basis for your off roader.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 12:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Decide what you want to do with it. If you want to haul ANYTHING go with the Bronco. If you just want something for twisty trails go with a SWB Jeep. I know the Bronco wheelbase isn't much different than a CJ-7 or Wrangler, but the overhang and width are a bit greater. I just finished building my CJ-7 and I love it. Also rode in my friends freshly re-done '70 Bronco...love it too! They are both fairly simple vehicles to work on/modify. Jeeps seem to be a bit cheaper though. Good luck in your decision!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, IT'S ALIVE!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have owned 6 early broncos and now a 1985 CJ7, and done a lot of work on a buddy's 81 CJ7. I personally loved my broncos but as far as the cost situation you will usually be able to build the jeep for less. A later model bronco has better running gear than the later jeeps and a V8 which is nice but the 258 6 will get you anywhere you want to go. I would say it is a toss up, I think you can find a decent jeep platform with disc brakes and power steering for a great deal less than a hard to find decent bronco to start from. Most of the broncos around here (NJ) are swiss cheese...

-JOn

1985 CJ7, T-176 4spd, Dana 300, 1" body lift, 31" tires (for now)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
RMS

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to go with the Jeep. Based mainly on parts availability and a good starter vehicle. I am going to keep one eye open just incase a nice '76 or '77 Bronco comes along. Thanks again!

<font color=blue>RMS</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Rubb'Ns Racing!</font color=red>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 04:43 PM

I've had both.
If you're building a driver/mild off-roader, the Bronco is much nicer and worth Much more money - collectable.

If you are gonna 'wheel it, get a Jeep. I am Not saying they are better for off-road: only that clean Bronco's are getting Harder to find!

OILBURNER [email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have owned both. I started with a 75 cj5 it was nice the 304 v8 had plenty of power. However, I now own a 70 Bronco and have found that the suspension on the Bronco is far superior. The coil spring suspension is smoother and is just plain happy off road and on. The 351 is just a better motor and cheaper to work on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode