'77 Tranny Swap (T18, T19, NP435, or NV4500) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'77 Tranny Swap (T18, T19, NP435, or NV4500)

I'm swapping SOMETHING in place of that 3-spd in my '77.

First off, if money was no consideration, I'd go for the NV4500 in a heartbeat. However, it looks like it would cost at least $2k to get one in there. Am I right? Anyone do it cheaper than this?

Second, the other three are all equally tough, right? Is one easier to swap in than the other?
I've heard that the NP435 will go in w/o driveshaft mods. Is this true?

Any information or additional help will be great appreciated. THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'77 Tranny Swap (T18, T19, NP435, or NV4500)

I was pondering this myself for a while. I was just about the NP435, but then heard a rumor and confirmed it myself by emailing Chuck at bcbroncos. Seems he is, right now, making an adapter to put a ZF into an EB using the Dana 20.
A few people have done this before and total cost to their custom install is around 1k. http://pages.prodigy.net/rjlougee/ZF.html

The thing about the ZF is that is a 5 sp. That means creeper and one more gear for the streets! The NP435 is the same gearing as the 3sp, it just has a creeper. that means you still have to keep the revs up on the highway.
Personally, I am going to wait for Chuck to finish that adapter and be one of the first to install it.

timbo

Taking pride in what most take for granted.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Interesting.... I'll do some research on that ZF. I wasn't familiar with that tranny.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 08:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya, they are a pretty plentiful tranny, so they are cheap. I know that they are under late 80's and early 90's F250s and 350s. I'm not sure of how to identify them yet but everyone who's got one seems to be really satisfied.

timbo

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 05:37 PM
Mud in my Veins

ZF

4wd ZF's are much scarcer and more expensive than 2wd's - I priced them from $800-1800 and had a hard time even finding one. They're easy to ID - they have "ZF" cast into the side and they are aluminum top-loaders w/integral bellhousing. But I think it would be worth quite a bit of money & effort to have a granny gear & an OD in a manual tranny.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
<font color=red>Don't buy it... Build it.</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ZF

actually, I really didn't have a hard time finding places with them. I won't buy one untill the adapter is out, tho. There are a few in the 4x4 f250's in a near pullit place, and I've also got the numbers to a few places that rebuild and then sellem. I am looking mainly at phoenix.

tim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The NP 435 Tranny is a bolt-up tranny with a $450 adapter. The catch is that there are only a few NP 435's with the correct shaft spline that work. You have to find the correct year truck to get it from. If I had the money, I would go with the NV4500. It shifts quicker and smoother, and has an overdrive. I don't know anything about the ZF.
Curtis

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 04:49 PM

The NV4500 is more expensive, sure, but you'll be guying gears anyway sooner or later. Two grand sounds about right to get one bolted up. If you drive your rig on the street at all, you'll dig the OD.

I had a NP435 (actually fabricated my own adapter) It was great for crawlin' but wasn't nearly as smooth as the NV.

Maybe you might drive vehicles with each of these tranny's in them first?

OILBURNER [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode