which EB should I look for to buy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 01:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

which EB should I look for to buy?

I'm brand new to the early bronco scene, but not to wheelin'. I haven't seen too many '66-'77 broncos around here so I'd like some advise on what to look for and what some of the differences were between the years. Are some more easily modified than others? What are some popular engine/tranny/t-case conversions? Any info would be helpful, otherwise I'm off into the Jeep world.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 12:34 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: which EB should I look for to buy?

I'd look for one with fuel doors (76-77) instead of caps sticking out - I think they look better, and they have front discs and generally better running gear - of course, they're more expensive for those reasons and because they're the newest. But they use most of the common repro parts, unlike the REALLY early ones (66-?68). I built a 75 you can see at webphotos by entering "steve" in the "Email/Nickname" field and selecting the "75 Bronco Redesign" album, and the main thing that annoys me about how it turned out is the fact that the fuel caps are exposed. (Other than that, it's PERFECT![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img])

The Dana30 front end is to be avoided, as are automatics (because the steering columns are crappy), non-electric wipers, and rusty door posts (they're SUPER expensive to fix right).

Plusses would include the windshield catch on the hood (not that you'll ever use it), all weatherstripping having been replaced, uncut wheelwells (so you can cut them[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]), factory A/C (you'll never find one, but...), the Ranger option package, a good headliner, good seats, dual tanks, and I can't remember if the "T" or "J" shifter is better.

Other useful suppliers include Advance Adapters, Auto Krafters, B&W Auto Parts, CBS Performance, Energy Suspension, Daystar, Dennis Carpenter, James Duff, Jeg's, K Bar S (you haven't SEEN expensive!), Klune-V, Mac's Antique Auto Parts, Midland Automotive, Obsolete Ford Parts, Rhino Linings, Summit Racing, Tom' Bronco Parts, Truck Accessories for Less, Truck Add-Ons, Truck Performance, Tuff Country, West Coast Differentials (excellent warranty), Wild Horses, and 4-Wheel Parts (some people hate this one).

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1977 was the only year that gas doors came on the Early Bronco. The main advantage to the 77 over the 76 is that it has the heavy duty "banjo" rear end. You can check out the article "How to Buy an Early Bronco" on the Lonestar Early Bronco Club site at http://www.lonestar-ebc.com.

I would look for something post 71 1/2 because you will get the Dana 44 front end. The t-shifter transfer case is a little lower geared and the shift linkage is better, but not that big of a deal. You won't find a windshield latch on anything newer than a 68, but you can buy them aftermarket. Disc brakes only came stock on the front of a 76 or 77. Autos came around in 73 and power steering was available in 74.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should find the one you like you can make it anthing you want. I like the 66 because it was the first one its what you can find in your price range stay away from rust if you can ,not a good thing you can up grade any year to what you like, 66 with a 69 351W fac 4-V and top loader 4 spd 4:11 locker f and r disk ps/pb all the good stuf so good luck to you Bill

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I was in the search for another Bronco I'd proably hold out for one with a body in good shape(minmal rust). The reason I say this is because I have 2 77's and have spent countless manhours and lots of $$$ getting rid of the rust bug. I'd proably get the most I could and just swap in the PS and better axles from a latter EB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode