Space in an EB - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Space in an EB

Hello all,
Space in the ole CJ is just too tight anymore. I am looking into an early Bronco, or if they are still to tight, a Scout. I don't know of any nearby to go look at
so figured I'd ask here.

For a weekend camping trip, would there be room for 4 + gear (not lots, fairweather camping) or is the backseat
pretty much useless when stowing stuff?

Thanks,
Ron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Space in an EB

I currently own a CJ-5 but I used to own a early Bronco there is not much more space in the Bronco than in a CJ-7 so depending on how much gear you want to carry you would not be much better off with the Bronco than with a Jeep, a long time back I did own a ScoutII which had a little more room but you can also find Scout travelers(I think thats what they are called) which have quite a bit more room in them and there was a Scout pick up truck model made that was the same size as the Traveler either of these traveler models you could build into a good trail rig.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 12:59 PM
Mud in my Veins

Look at a hitch hauler (assuming you have a Class III hitch receiver - 2" square). They're cheap - $60 at Wal-Mart.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 02:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My friend as an EB ('70) and I swear I could park my CJ in the back! The Broncos dont have room like a long box pickup, but it will seem that way going from a CJ to one of those!
I give them a [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] vote as well (and I'm a DODGE guy with a Jeep!)

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, The body is on the frame now!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The guy that had the Bronco the same size as the CJ must have been talking about one of the little toy models. I have and 72 EB and it swallows my best friends CJ. The back bed is approx 4'x4' and you can fit the bench seat of an S10 in the front with 5" to spare at each door. If you are looking for room the Bronco would definitely be an option. You will have tons of seating options including almaost any junkyard high bach seat and sliding and reclining seats. My best friend is 6'2, 275lbs and has to squeeze himself into his CJ-5. That's even afte he put on the 12" Grant steering wheel. He easily sits in my Bronco without having to slide the seat completely back. As for the Scout, I've been in a few and they are slightly larger than the Bronco, but this will tell on you when you get into some tight trails. Good Luck.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got a blue 72 myself and I like the space....
I don't have a back seat and the rear cargo area is a lot bigger than I thought it would be.
I am looking at seat options now. That will likely be the very next upgrade.
How is that S-10 seat????

1978 F150 SC For Sale $1000
1969 Buick LeSabre 400 $2000
1941 Farmall "A"
Soon to be Big Bronco owner
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a '79 Scout II and would recommend it. Nothing against Broncos, but nice Scouts are a little cheaper. If you are not on the trails all the time, the Scout is hard to beat all around, and it makes a good trail rig with a few mods. There is plenty of room with the rear seat in, or remove it for extra space. It provides a much more stable tow platform, and the old V-8's are the best with forged cranks, rods, pistons from the factory. It is timed by gears, no "slacker" chain. T-19 full syncro 4-sp's are heavy duty and common. Dana 44's front and rear. Mine has the 345 V-8 with the T-19 (like a T-18 but with a synchro 1st) and 3.54 diffs. I even get decent mileage! Parts are not a problem, I can supply numerous parts vendors, although most drivetrain parts are available at any parts store. "Scouts lead the way."

Steve Mcqueen fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode