HOGS HEAD 69 BRONCO - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HOGS HEAD 69 BRONCO

Hi all, I just bought a 1969 bronco, pretty fair shape. My problem is the front and rear axles don't have matching gears. The rear is original (411) and the front came out of a 1976 bronco. To begin with "How do I determine the front ratio of gears?? and second which would be easiest/best to change." Any help??? thanks JB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 01:48 PM
Old Hand

Re: HOGS HEAD 69 BRONCO

To find out what gears in the front you have, lock the hube, leave the t-case in 2wd, and jack up i side of the front end. Mark the tire and front driveshaft, then spin the tire 2 times. if the driveshaft spins 4 times, you have 4.11, if it spins 3&3/4, you have 3.73s, 3&1/2 times, you have 3.55's. I would change the front up to 4.11's to match tthe back b/c the lower gear will be better for acceleration, towing, off roading, ect.

John

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 02:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,
I'm gonna follow up on that "easiest to change" part. Okay, you said that you have four elevens in the rear. I'm gonna guess that you have a nine inch in the rear. That is the easiest axle in the world to change your gears in. The huge downside to it is that you don't know what gears exactly you have in the front, and you can't be off by much or yer gonna start fukin your truck up. So, my advise is that you have your front 44 matched to your nine inch in the rear. While it might be a little more difficult to change out, you shouldn't do it yourself in the first place. I had this one guy who does gears for a living do my gears, and it sucked ass because he was a backyard mechanic. My advise is to get it done by a professional shop that knows what they are doing and can back it up with a month or two warrantee in case it whines loudly. You might pay a little more, but I definetely advise you not to try to do it yourself.
-mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks John, I'll give it a try after work today. JB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode