Pre-Emmissions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:31 PM
joeybcdt

Pre-Emmissions?

What year did Ford start putting the emmissions stuff on Broncos? I think it was the early 80's but I'm not real sure.

Also, I'm selling my CJ7. I'm trying to decide what to buy next. Another CJ, early Bronco, or Scout? Right now, I'm leaning toward the Bronco 1st, Scout 2nd.

Anyone know a good wed resource that will tell me about what specific drivetrain came on what years? Which trannies are good, which are weak?, ect...

Thanks,
Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pre-Emmissions?

My guess is '78, but I know for sure that they were putting it on in 1980.

I don't know for sure what website to go to which willl specify what drivetrain is good and what drivetrain is weak, but thats why this board is here [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] !! What do u need to know? I can tell you that the Ford ttb is weak ('80 and up Ford trucks) and that Dana 60 is stronger than the 9" which is stronger than the dana 44. Also, you want to avoid the AOD as compared to the C6 tranny. But, what do u need to know? Fire away.....

-mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 79 F150 had cataletic converters- well it used to anyway. I had to call like five different muffler shops to find one that would bend new exhuast for me. When i did find one they told me the reason they could work on it was because 79 was the first year the ford had cats, and ford only put em on like half the trucks that year, so nobody would be the wiser if i took mine off. Dont know if its true, just what some muffler guy told me.

93 F250 7.3 Diesel, 4 inch tuff country lift, 35 inch Wild Country's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you talking about the early (66-77) or late (78-96) Broncos? The first emmissions including catalytic converters was on the 75.

For the early Bronco drive train you don't have much choice in stock form. Either the 3 spd manual or C4 (some say C5) auto available in 73-77. Both are strong enough for a stock Bronco, but as you start gearing down and putting bigger tires on you might want to look at swapping out that 3 spd. The NP435 w/ granny low is a good choice and plenty strong. For links on Bronco trannys check out my WebMap:
http://classicbroncos.com/webmap/Transmission/

For a good year by year history of changes to the early Bronco check out the Bronco Graveyard's site at:
http://broncograveyard.com/6677specs.html

Jon Hanna
[email protected]
http://ClassicBroncos.com

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 01:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: trannies

The free Advance Adapters catalog has some good info on transmission. Mine arrived only about 5 days after I ordered it online.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode