chevbronco? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

chevbronco?

im a chevy guy, the guys in my family have always driven chevy trucks and loved them. (my dad had a crown vic once, OOPS!). i really like early broncos however. they have got a lot of style and look quite capable... im just uneasy about the ford engine part of the deal. has anyone ever dropped either a GM 4.3 v6 or a GM 350 v8 into the bay of an early bronc? would this cause problems? i know a guy who has the 350 in a fj40 and its not fairing too well. if the GM engine doesnt work out... is it possible to put a crate 5.3 (i think thats a ford engine) v8 into a bronco... would there be any problems with this? thanks guys (maybe gals)

Jonathan Rogers
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 08:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: chevbronco?

You will spend a load of money on a trans adapter. Your best bet is swapping in the engine, tranny, and transfer case and custom building the tranny and engine mounts. If you have the capability and equipment, this would not be that difficult.
Why a chevy engine??? The Ford engines have pleanty of power, even the 302. I have a Ford 302 with an 88 chevy TBI (fuel injection). I grafted the wiring harness, Throttle body, computer, sensors, etc. This swap was worth every penny (about $500 total).

Curtis

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2000, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm a chevy guy to but have owned a bronco with a 302 in it and can tell you that it is a good motor that will last a ong time with proper care and if your looking for more power I;d just go with one of the newer 5.0s from a mustang
and with a few parts these can be made to put out a lot of power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2000, 11:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why fix something that isn't broke??? The early broncos are one of the most capable vehicles made. The ford engines have plenty of power, so there really is no need for the drop of a chevy engine. I have had a late bronco with a 302 that had 100,000 miles on it and it still ran well. I recently rebuilt and dropped a 351 for more power. My friend has a 73 bronco with a 351w and 3spd, and it is one of the baddest trucks around hands down. He used to run with my buddies camaro that had a 305 tpi engine. NO NEED TO DROP A CHEVY ENGINE INTO ONE OF THESE FINE RIGS!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode