Early Bronco Fuel Injection. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Early Bronco Fuel Injection.

In a previous post, I asked the question about an economic fuel injection system. I have found the solution to my question. Go to:
http://home.att.net/~jweir/tbi/main_start.htm
This board has a lot of useful info about the swap.
I was able to grab the harness, TBI, sensors, etc. from an 89 chevy 1500 with the 350 engine. I purchased these parts at the local "recycler" for $350. The operation is now complete after 2 weeks of R&D and cursing the spagetti wiring. I have spent a little over $500 and now have a sweet setup. If you don't want the brain-damage you can spend $1200 and get a Turbo-City or Howell kit, but it just isn't the same, is it? I am no expert electrition (or speller), just love to tinker.
Here is what was extra:
I had to get a magnetic pickup distributor from a late model 302 and swapped in the parts to my points distributor (because the shaft size was different)
I had to purchase the TBI-to-intake adapter from Turbo City ($40) and a new fuel pump, several feet of Fuel Injection hose, and an electric solonoid (sp) for the dual tank switching. It starts and runs like a dream. I haven't needed to re-program the ECM. It runs much better than the 4bbl Carter that I had last.
Now I can climb any hill and don't have to worry about flooding out.
If you have any questions or are interested in the swap, contact me at [email protected]
or post here!
Curtis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Early Bronco Fuel Injection.

I was just wondering why you didn't go with the late 5.0 efi out of a stang or f series. It's pretty sraight forward if you can read a wiring diagram. I put a 92 stang 5.0 in my '69 and it worked out fine. I used a Ford dealers vacuum&wiring book. Tell you the truth, it was more trouble getting the fuel lines and returns in place(dual tanks) than it was to get all the wires right.
Frank

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Because the G.M. EFI costs much less than the Ford EFI and has much more potential for modification.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2000, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cost maybe........ But preformance not likely...........
if throttle body injection was a better performer then why are all your high performance vehicles multiport injected? they are more efficient and make more power..........
so when your TBI injection is modified to the max you need to up-grade to multiport injection. so then your cost for a up-grade TBI is more than multiport injection.Right???????

Frank

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wrong! It is harder to max out a TBI. I have seen 4bbl TBI's, and even Dual-Quad TBI's. They use intake manifolds from carb engines. You are more likely to max out the engine's air intake potential than than max out your TBI air intake. With a Multi-Port, you are restricted to the size of the air plenum associated with the multi port intake (unless it is custom). I do agree that MFI is more efficient though.
Curtis

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

there are a few problems with the GM system - they're less efficient (compared to the SEFI ford system), and you have to get custom chips and parts to support more than a mild engine combination. now the efficiency differences are obvious, so i won't touch on that. but the adaptability of the ford fuel injection system is something to be mentioned.

i'll start with an example - there's a guy up in colorado ('you readin' this, coby?) that's running a 423 windsor based stroker with off the shelf mustang and lightning parts. the computer? stock. injectors? very readily available (and cheap!). intake? stock cobra and lightning units. harness? stock. and the beauty of this system - NO CUSTOM PROGRAMMING. the computer is able to learn the correct fuel maps and adjust accordingly. in this respect (and many others), the ford SEFI system is far superior to the GM TBI.

now on a comparable GM system - the harness, TB unit, and computer would all be stock. but you'd have to round up some hard to find injectors that would be capable of supporting this kind of motor (the aftermarket doesn't support hot rodding with the TBI system too well - most go to the TPI for a stronger motor). you'd also be stuck on a dyno trying to determine what your output curve on your engine looks like, so that you can get a chip burned for your ECU that will tell the computer how to handle your engine. ultimately, the cost of this one may exceed the Ford SEFI after you add in the time spent tuning the system. and that doesn't even begin to take into account the time you're going to spend trying to tune this setup. that's the beauty of the ford SEFI - it's adaptable, and you dont have to spend time tuning it (although you certainly can, if so desired).

i'm not saying the GM system won't work - but IMHO, i don't think it's the choice for someone running anything but an engine closely resembling the motor it came off of.

-k

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I appreciate your input, but we are now talking completely different situations and have switched off the subject.
1. SEFI (Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection) costs much more than the price of a TBI. Believe me, I have had to replace injectors on a Multi port 351, it is NOT cheap.
2. The GM system in my Bronco has not been calibrated and outperforms the 4bbl carter carb I had before. My engine has nothing that resembles a chevy 350. The GM system also has the capacity to learn fuel and spark curves. Top end (5000+rpm) is not quite the same as the Carter AFB, but it's low to mid-range we all desire, unless you drag or mud race, right? I agree that you can't tune a stock GM system to any engine setup, but the hardware to program your own chip is about $140 and a custom burned chip from Howell or Turbo City is about the same cost.
3.The purpose of the post was to provide my findings on a system that is cost effective, readily avaliable and has the advantages of a fuel injection engine over a carburated engine.

Curtis

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i appreciate your post because it has been very informative. i have a 351w in my jeep and have wondered about a swap like that. i went to the web site you posed and it said something about if i don't run a egr valve that i'd have to get a new chip burned. is this so or can it "learn" to deal without the egr? thanks again.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2000, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You won't have to run the EGR. I ran the EGR solonoid that plugs into the harness. It is a little box approx 1"x1"x1-1/2" that has 2 vacuum hose ports on it. One hose plugs into the throttle body, and the other into the EGR. I don't actually have the EGR valve. It fools the computer into thinking the EGR is enabled. You won't have to get the chip burned if you use this method.

Curtis

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 PM
nbillodeau

Throttle body fuel injection installed on a 76' Bronco

Curtis, I am interested in your install of the GM throttle body setup. If you can help please contact me via e-mail and I will give you a phone #.
If any one has done this setup your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again
Nelson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode