extreme lifts and picture with questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2000, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

extreme lifts and picture with questions

What is the tallest lift available for the early Bronco (superlift swamp runner?) Can you run the Ford F series coils on a '69 Bronco, they seem to have a much more diverse selection of spring heights? What do you figure the Bronco in the photo is running? And how would you get there, granted if you wanted to? I think they're 35's judging from the rim size (guessing 15 inches). I don't like the drop down brackets, but I understand the need for them. http://www.rockyroads.com/gallery/BIGBOO1.JPG

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2000, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: extreme lifts and picture with questions

Tallest manufactured lift for old bronco that I know of is the 6". If you have a 69 bronco you won't want to put tires larger than 33's on it with the dana 30 front end. The F-series coils are too stiff for the little bronco. Get the softest springs possible if you can to take advantage of the travel and articulation capabilities of the front-end. May have to get custom springs for this height.
The photo looks like 38" swampers on 15x12" rims. Just a guess. It appers like a custom lift (no body lift apparent).
I agree with you on the drop down brackets. A better way to increase the front travel and height is to increase the length of the radius arms.
Hope this helps,
Curtis

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks T&T, I thought that Superlift offered a 7 inch lift, not sure though. Do you have any suggestions for custom springs? Why doesn't anyone use Johnny Joints on the frame end of the control arm, seems to me that the threaded end would bind a lot when drooped?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2000, 11:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The threaded end does bind, that is why rubber bushings are better than the poly ones. Johnny Joints are Ideal. I currently get about 12" of travel which is inhibited by a crappy set of Rancho coil springs. The suspension will not drop or compress anywhere near it's potential. When I have the time and money, I will lengthen the radius arms use Johnny joints in lieu of the threaded rod, and install a set of long travel Coil-overs. This will solve the spring issue. Someone told me of a place that custom fabs springs based on vehicle weight. I will have to get the particulars on the info.
Hope this helps.
Curtis.

p.s. There are several other Early Bronco boards that get many more hits than this one. I keep using this one because it is the less complicated to use. Feel free to ask as many questions on this board as you like (just keep the politics out)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2000, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

looking at the pic. I think those tires are 39.5" and the lift is a 3" body and 7" suspension. Yes the do offer a 7"LIFT for an early bronco.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

nit2win;
After reviewing your Bio., I am guessing this is your Bronc?
Sorry about the 7" lift, I wasn't sure they made one.
You do much rock-crawling with it? How is the high(er) center-of-gravity?
After flipping my old bronco at 65mph, I removed the 2" body lift. The space between the frame and tub caused the tub to wrap over the spacers. Made for additional work to straighten the tub. The fact that the tub shifted to the side of the frame also made me uncomfortable. I guess a frame mounted cage would have prevented this (just throwing in my two-bits).
later,
Curtis

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 10:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wish it were mine. My bronco needs cosmetic work before it would look like the pic of the green bronc. Heres my two cents"Did you notice that there isn't a front drive shaft in the bronc pictured?" Oh yeah, I think, I'm going to paint my bronc a factory ford color (Wild Strawberry), the green looks like it would be an eye sore after the new wore off.To each his own.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree, the green is a little funky. No front driveshaft, this must be one of those 4x2 Bronco's!
It looks fresh out of the paint booth (door handles, locks or accessories).

I didn't realize "Wild Strawberry" was a FORD color. I am not even sure what it looks like. Sounds like some funky pink color. You will have to explain the name. Sorry!
My Bronco was a shade darker than candy-apple red out of the factory (maybe this was "Wild Strawberry"?). After the wreck I panted it black (don't ask why, it was a last minute decision).
Later,
Curtis

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I not for sure what the paint code is, don't have a chip book at home. I believe the first year of the color was sometime around '94 it was used on ford cars. It is kinda "rasberry-purplish-burgandy-w/a very small hint of pink"
Hard to explain.A real cool color.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode